A Legacy of Quality Health Care
San Diego’s premier health care provider, Scripps is a community-based health care system with a proud legacy of providing excellent care for the people of San Diego.
Now with four acute-care hospitals on five campuses, a network of clinics, home health and 2,600 affiliated physicians, Scripps continues to raise the bar for quality care.
2008 Scripps is named to FORTUNE magazine’s 11th annual list of America’s “100 Best Companies to Work For,” ranking 56. This is the first time a San Diego health care provider is included in the list. Read more
Scripps opens Scripps Clinical Research to support researchers, improve communication and help create new partnerships with drug and device companies. The center helps ensure that patients receive the most current, effective care available.
2007 Scripps Mercy Hospital acquires da Vinci, an advanced robotic surgery system that can make many surgeries less invasive — reducing blood loss, postoperative pain and scarring and the risk of infection. The acquisition launches the Scripps Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery Program
The outpatient Imaging Pavilion at Scripps La Jolla opens, which houses the latest PET, CT and MRI imaging technology.
2006 Scripps President and CEO Chris Van Gorder announces the creation of the Scripps Cardiovascular Institute as part of the $360 million first phase replacement of Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. The institute will include the cardiac programs of Scripps Clinic/Scripps Green Hospital and Scripps La Jolla. Read more
Scripps announces a new Translational Science Institute and Genomic Medicine program to support basic research and clinical programs focusing on defining the genes that underlie susceptibility to disease, and take these findings into drug discovery programs and, ultimately, into clinical trials.
2005 Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla becomes the first hospital in San Diego to receive Magnet Designation for excellence in patient care, from the American Nurses Association.
2004 Scripps Memorial Hospital Chula Vista consolidates operating licenses with Scripps Mercy Hospital becoming Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista. Together with the Scripps Mercy facility in Hillcrest, the hospital provides care to San Diego’s Metro and South Bay communities. Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine adds the Dickinson & Gooding Center for Early Detection. Scripps also opens the Ambulatory Surgery Pavilion at Scripps Mercy Hospital, the Scripps Chula Vista Cardiac Catheterization Lab and Scripps Carmel Valley.
2002 Scripps opens Mercy Gardens to house AIDS/HIV patients on the campus of
Scripps Mercy Hospital. Scripps opens the City Heights Wellness Center to enhance the health of residents in the neighborhood.
2000 The Scripps Polster Breast Care Center San Diego’s first comprehensive breast center, opens on the campus of Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. Mercy Clinic relocates to a newly renovated facility on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Washington Street in Hillcrest.
1999 Scripps Health, Scripps Clinic and The Scripps Research Institute join forces to create the Scripps Cancer Center integrating basic research, clinical research, cancer care and community outreach. Scripps establishes the Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine providing complementary therapies to traditional medical care. Construction is completed for Scripps Memorial Hospital Chula Vista’s Emergency Room, ICU and lobby expansion and upgrade.
1998 Scripps Center for Women’s Health, which includes 12 state-of-the-art birthing suites, opens at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla.
1995 Mercy Hospital joins Scripps, adding 520 beds, eight health care centers, more than 2,400 employees and 943 physicians to the Scripps network.
1990 Scripps Green Hospital starts San Diego’s first successful liver transplant program.
1989 The Mercy Hospital Family Birth Unit opens. The Heart, Lung and Vascular Center opens at Scripps Green Hospital.
1987 Green Cancer Center and the Musculoskeletal Center open at Scripps Clinic.
1986 Bay General Hospital Medical Center becomes Scripps Memorial Hospital Chula Vista. Scripps creates Home Health Care Services.
1984 Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla becomes part of the county’s new trauma care system. The Cardiovascular Institute and Mericos Eye Institute are established on the Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla campus.
1983 Scripps Clinic opens the Anderson Outpatient Pavilion. The Scripps drug and alcohol treatment program, a chemical dependency recovery facility, opens on the Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla campus.
1982 The Whittier Institute for Diabetes and Endocrinology opens on the Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla campus.
1981 The Scripps Well Being Center, later renamed Mende Well Being, the first storefront health education center of its kind in the United States, opens at University Town Center in La Jolla. Well Being Centers are later expanded to Encinitas and Chula Vista.
1980 Scripps Clinic opens satellite clinics across San Diego County.
1978 San Dieguito Hospital becomes Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas
1977 Scripps Clinic moves to its current site on Torrey Pines Mesa.
1976 The Cancer Center, later renamed Stevens Cancer Center, is established at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla.
1971 Scripps Memorial Hospital adds the seven-story Copley Tower and Kelsey Surgical Pavilion.
1966 Mercy dedicates a new 11-story hospital on Fifth Avenue.
1964 The new 240-bed Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla opens on Genesee Avenue.
1961 Guadalupe Clinic moves to Mercy Hospital and is rededicated as Mercy Clinic.
1956 Scripps Metabolic Clinic is renamed Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation.
1946 The American Medical Association approves Mercy Hospital’s new Graduate Medical Education program.
1944 The Guadalupe Clinic, a one-room clinic for the underserved, opens in Barrio Logan. Mercy physicians and nurses donate their services.
1924 Ellen Browning Scripps establishes the 44-bed Scripps Hospital and Scripps Metabolic Clinic on Prospect Street in La Jolla. St. Joseph’s Hospital moves to its current location on Fifth and Washington and is renamed Mercy Hospital.
1890 Sisters of Mercy, led by Sister Mary Michael Cummings, open a five-bed dispensary, St. Joseph’s, on Sixth Avenue and Market Street in downtown San Diego. The hospital moves to Eighth and University Avenues in Hillcrest the following year.