How to do pursed lip breathing:
1. Breath in (inhale) slowly through your nose for 2 counts.
2. Feel your belly get larger as you breathe in.
3. Pucker your lips, as if you were going to whistle or blow out a candle.
4. Breathe out (exhale) slowly through your lips for 4 or more counts.
Exhale normally. Do not force air out. Do not hold your breath when you are doing pursed lip breathing. Repeat these steps until your breathing slows.
- Review date:
- June 18, 2013
- Reviewed by:
- David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2008 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.