The primary hypotheses under test are that alcohol dependent subjects treated with
mifepristone will report decreased craving for alcohol...
- Trial ID:
- Barbara Mason
- Male or female volunteers, 18-65 years of age
- Meets DSM-IV criteria for current alcohol dependence
- Subjects will not be seeking treatment because the medication studies are not treatment trials
- Subjects must be abstinent a minimum of 3 days (but not more than 7 days) prior to the human lab session
- Negative BAC and a CIWA score of < 8 at screening and time of lab session to eliminate acute alcohol or withdrawal effects on dependent measures
- Subjects must be able to complete and understand questionnaires and study procedures in English and sign an informed consent
- Significant medical disorders that will increase potential risk or interfere with study participation as determined by the Study Physician
- Female subjects with childbearing potential who are pregnant, nursing, or refuse to use double barrier (non-hormonal) methods of birth control for the duration of the study and one month thereafter
- Meets DSM-IV criteria for a major Axis I disorder including mood or anxiety disorders or substance dependence disorders other than alcohol or nicotine dependence
- History of allergy or hypersensitivity to the study drugs or the ingredients
- Treatment within the month prior to screening with 1.) an investigational drug or vaccine; 2.) drugs that may influence study outcomes, e.g., disulfiram (Antabuse), naltrexone (ReVia), acamprosate (Campral), anticonvulsants, antidepressants.
- In need of or currently taking any psychoactive medications.