- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- 9888 Genesee Avenue
- La Jolla, CA 92037 US 32.8852 -117.225 Directions
- Visiting Hours
- 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Visiting hours may be adjusted based on the patient's needs or wishes.
- Emergency Services
- The ER is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Scripps Health has long been recognized as a leader in cardiovascular care, distinguished by our renowned specialists, advanced technology and landmark research. Among these specialists are the dedicated and highly experienced surgeons of Scripps Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Group. These physicians perform some of the most innovative cardiovascular and thoracic surgery options. One of these innovative treatment options is robotic cardiothoracic surgery, which is performed by Dr. James Hemp.
Our physicians have performed more cardiovascular and thoracic surgeries than any other surgical group in San Diego, making Scripps Health the premier choice for cardiovascular and lung care.
Cardiovascular and thoracic procedures performed by the group include:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG)
Surgery designed to re-route blood and oxygen due to a blockage in the normal pathway
- Valve repair and replacement, including percutaneous aortic valve implant
- Robotic surgery for coronaries and valves
- Atrial and ventricular septal defect repairs
Holes or defects in the heart’s chambers
- Aneurysm surgery
A procedure to repair a balloon in the wall of an artery due to a weakened portion of the blood vessel
- Cardiac arrhythmia surgery, including Maze procedure
- Lung resection
Surgery to repair or remove a portion of the lung
- Lung biopsy
The removal of a small portion of the lung to check for disease
- Lung reduction
Surgical removal of diseased lung tissue to allow healthy lung tissue to function better
An instrument is inserted into the neck to help a surgeon better see the structure of the lungs
- Lung pleurodesis
A procedure to adhere the membranes around the lung together to prevent the buildup of fluid between tissue
- Lung decortication
A surgical peeling of the lining of the lung to improve lung expansion
- Bleb resection/stapling
The stapling of a bubble on the lung surface to prevent leakage and improve lung function
- Pericardial window
An opening made between the ribs to drain fluid that has accumulated around the heart
- Trachea and esophagus surgery
Surgery to correct conditions of the trachea and esophagus
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)
Surgery on the lungs performed with the aid of an endoscope