- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- 9888 Genesee Avenue
- La Jolla, CA 92037 US 32.8852 -117.225
- Visiting Hours
- 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Visiting hours may be adjusted based on the patient's needs or wishes.
- Emergency Services
- The ER is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Scripps Whittier Diabetes Institute
Scripps Whittier Diabetes Institute provides resources for innovative diabetes research, education, and patient care. Scripps Whittier Diabetes Institute acts as a catalyst for collaboration among leading organizations to effect a cure for diabetes.
Founded in 1982, Scripps Whittier Diabetes Institute stands alone as the San Diego region’s leading comprehensive organization for diabetes. In a struggle to overcome this epidemic facing 18 million Americans, few institutions have risen above all others in their total dedication. Scripps Whittier Diabetes Institute is fully committed to diabetes patient care, education and research.
Scripps Whittier Diabetes Institute accomplishes its mission by collaborating with other institutions, their researchers, and physicians – such as Scripps Health; University of California, San Diego; Children’s Hospital, San Diego; San Diego Community Clinics; and The Scripps Research Institute.
Scripps Whittier Diabetes Institute:
- Administers one of the largest American Diabetes Association-recognized diabetes education programs in the nation, including the Scripps Whittier Diabetes Program.
- Is credited with the first successful replication of insulin-producing human islet cells outside the human body. Dr. Alberto Hayek’s achievement is a milestone on the pathway to making a cure widely available.
- Led the establishment of Project Dulce, a diabetes care program for the underserved,
heralded as a model program by the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services.