- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- 9888 Genesee Avenue
- La Jolla, CA 92037 US 32.8852 -117.225 Directions
- Visiting Hours
- 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Visiting hours may be adjusted based on the patient's needs or wishes.
- Emergency Services
- The ER is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Movement disorders is broad terms that refer to a number of conditions where the neurons that are responsible for voluntary movement are impaired. Scripps Health physicians and medical staff are sensitive to the many challenges posed by Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders.
Treating Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders
Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders can reduce mobility and cause uncontrolled movements or sounds, as well as tremors, tics or twitches. In some movement disorder cases, the neurons are impaired by degeneration or disease such as Parkinson’s disease; other disorders are the result of overactive neurons.
Scripps is dedicated to meeting the complex health care needs of people with conditions that cause abnormalities of movement. Our medical team of neurologists and neurosurgeons use the most advanced and clinically proven methods to alleviate debilitating symptoms, providing diagnoses, treatment and support services for diseases and conditions including:
- Parkinson’s disease and atypical parkinsonism
- Chorea (involuntary movements) and tics, including Tourette syndrome
- Ataxia which causes uncoordinated movements
- Myoclonus which is the involuntary twitching of a muscle or group of muscles
- Medication-induced movement disorders
- Dystonia, including writer’s cramp, torticollis, and facial spasms
- Restless leg syndrome (RLS) and other sleep-related movement disorders