Support for Women with Heart Disease
Scripps is a proud partner of WomenHeart National Hospital Alliance. This national organization provides education and support to women living with heart disease. Through this partnership, WomenHeart and Scripps will offer San Diego women gender-sensitive cardiovascular care, support groups, educational materials and programs.
WomenHeart services at Scripps include:
- Monthly support groups throughout the county
- Peer-to-peer counseling
- WomenHeart “Red Bags of Courage” filled with educational materials
- Access to a national online support community
- Monthly WomenHeart electronic newsletter
- Opportunities to participate in the heart scarf program, to provide a hand-made red scarf to all women at Scripps who are hospitalized with heart disease
- Access to educational materials and resources
- Opportunities to become WomenHeart champions and attend training to help other women in the community
In addition, Scripps female cardiologists serve on the Scripps WomenHeart Advisory Board to support our WomenHeart champions to better serve the needs of the women in our community.
The benefits of WomenHeart
Through WomenHeart, Scripps can help women with heart disease find the support and education they need to live healthier, happier lives. Women who have participated in programs and services through WomenHeart have reported:
- Enhanced quality of life
- Improved ability to adhere to prescribed treatments
- Improved ability to communicate with their health care providers
- Increased understanding of heart disease and their specific condition
- Improved ability to communicate and explain their condition to family members, co-workers, and friends
Become a part of WomenHeart
To access all of the benefits of WomenHeart, visit womenheart.org and register through the “Take Charge” button on the home page. You’ll receive a free heart health action kit and automatically be enrolled for their newsletter. Or call 1-800-SCRIPPS to find a WomenHeart support group in your area.