Supporting Patients and Families
Scripps Case Managers assist patients and their families with a number of challenges to ensure a safe and appropriate discharge, including:
- Arranging for continued care upon discharge at home and in the community. This may include care at a skilled nursing facility or rehabilitation center.
- Arranging for home health care, which may involve physical, occupational or speech therapies, and skilled nursing in the patient’s residence.
- Scheduling of outpatient follow-up appointments after discharge to ensure appropriate continued care.
Social Workers provide emotional support and resources to patients and their family members:
- Counseling regarding adjustment to the patient’s current condition and treatment
- Providing coping tools to handle the various psychosocial stressors that may affect treatment progress, such as lack of support systems, unstable home environment and financial issues
- Assessment and intervention regarding substance and alcohol abuse, domestic violence or assault, and protective services issues for children, elders and those with disabilities
- Resources and referrals to community services including financial, legal, mental health, shelter/housing, sober living and various other support services