Come show your commitment to patient care and help us ensure that our patients and visitors receive the best service possible. Our volunteers give thousands of hours of service each year in many different ways.
Volunteer opportunities vary by location. Contact the Scripps facility near you for details:
- Scripps Coastal Medical Center Oceanside
- 4318 Mission Avenue, Oceanside, CA 92057
- Scripps Green Hospital and Scripps Clinic
- 10666 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037
- Phone: 858-554-2525
- Fax: 858-554-2526
- Learn more about volunteering at Scripps Green and Scripps Clinic.
- Scripps Hospice
- Locations throughout San Diego County
- Learn more about hospice volunteer opportunities.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas
- 354 Santa Fe Dr., Encinitas, CA 92024
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla and Prebys Cardiovascular Institute
- 9888 Genesee Ave., La Jolla, CA 92037
- Email: LJvolunteerservices@scrippshealth.org
- Fax: 858-626-6063
- Learn more about volunteering at Scripps La Jolla campus.
- Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista
- 435 H St., Chula Vista, CA 91910
- Learn more about volunteering at Scripps Mercy Chula Vista.
- Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego
- 4077 Fifth Ave., San Diego, CA 92103
- Learn more about volunteering at Scripps Mercy San Diego.
- Learn more about our Mercy Outreach Surgical Team (M.O.S.T.) clinical volunteer needs.
Volunteers at Scripps Green Hospital and Scripps Clinic enjoy an enriching experience being part of our caring team. Whether your interest is giving back to your community, exploring careers in health care or filling retirement hours and meeting new people, we strive to make your volunteer experience personally rewarding. Depending on individual interests, some of our volunteers work in patient care units and others provide valuable assistance in support areas, information desks or gift shops.
What are the requirements for volunteering?
People of all backgrounds and abilities who want to help others can become volunteers. Adults, college student, and high school students (minimum age 15) are eligible. Previous experience is not required, as we provide training for all positions.
We are looking for caring, dependable people willing to make a 6-month commitment of 4 hours per week.
What positions are offered?
We have many different opportunities to serve in various areas of the hospital and clinic, including:
- Ambulatory surgery center
- Gift shops
- Health information
- ICU and urgent care
- Patient escort
- Patient amenities/concierge services
- Therapy dog program
- Nursing and surgical units
- Nutrition and dietary services
- Volunteer services
The volunteer office will work closely with you to help determine the best placement. Our goal is to match your interests, skills and availability with the needs of our hospital and clinics.
Scripps La Jolla volunteers enjoy an enriching experience as part of our caring team. Whether your interest is giving back to the community, exploring a career in health care, or looking for a rewarding way to spend your free time, we strive to make your volunteer experience personally rewarding.
Our volunteers help in patient care units or provide valuable assistance in support areas, information desks or gift shops.
Special volunteer programs
Scripps La Jolla offers some special volunteer opportunities in addition to patient care and other support areas throughout the hospital.
- Calling all pet lovers
Scripps La Jolla also offers a very special program led by our four-legged therapists — our pet therapy program. Your pets can contribute to a patient’s quality of life because they provide a sense of peace and purpose. Our pet therapy program uses a certified pet therapy dog to visit and comfort our patients.
- Moms, are you ready to try something new?
Scripps La Jolla has a new program for moms interested in volunteering. Whether you are a stay at home mom or dealing with a newly-emptied nest, we offer volunteer opportunities with flexible hours — day, evening and weekend shifts are available.
What are the requirements for volunteering?
We are looking for caring, dependable people willing to make a long-term commitment of six months and at least 100 hours. Our volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and abilities — all that’s required is a desire to help others.
Men and women, college students and high school students (minimum age 15) are eligible. As a volunteer, you will be required to attend an orientation seminar and safety training. We offer training programs and continuing education to help volunteers remain efficient and effective.
What positions are offered?
There are a number of areas throughout the hospital with varying schedules to choose from. The volunteer office will work closely with you to help determine the best fit. Our goal is to match your interests, skills and time available with the needs of our hospital.
Some of the many volunteer opportunities include:
- Gift shop
- Information desk
- Family and visitor waiting areas
- Acute care and intensive care nursing units
- Service ambassador
- Cardiac services
- Sewing group and creating crafts
- Working with patients or assisting family members
- Supporting various administrative departments with clerical tasks
- Pet therapy program
How do I get started?
Simply email our volunteer services office via LJvolunteerservices@scrippshealth.org and ask when our next volunteer orientation will be held. Attending an orientation or open house is the best way for you to see if volunteering at Scripps La Jolla is right for you.
High school volunteer applicants 15 to 17 years old require parental consent. The volunteer services department will review all background checks and health screenings and contact qualified candidates to schedule a placement interview.
Thank you for inquiring about volunteer services at Scripps Mercy Hospital.
Volunteers are important to us. Volunteers add that “special” touch, which enhances the quality of health care — helping patients, families, staff, visitors and the entire community.
We value our volunteers
Volunteers are integral to Scripps Mercy Hospital, as they provide an added measure of personal care to our patients and assume non-clinical volunteer roles. Scripps Mercy Hospital has more than 300 volunteers who perform 44,000 hours of non-clinical service in 70 departments throughout the hospital. We have a variety of special programs, including one for pre-nursing and pre-medical college students.
The goals of the Volunteer Services Department are to provide volunteers who augment essential services and contribute to total patient care, to help create and promote in the community an understanding of the hospital and its services, and to provide to the community a means of giving service to human needs.
How to become a volunteer
Adult volunteers must be 18 years of age. Volunteers born in 1956 or after must show proof of having an MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) immunization in 1980 or after.
Volunteers must also:
- Be able to commit to 2-4 hours per week for six (6) months (100 hours).
- Have two (2) tuberculin skin tests prior to starting service (provided by hospital).
- Complete the Mercy Volunteer Application (PDF, 45 KB), which includes professional references. Two references must be included or application will not be accepted. Please write legibly, especially e-mail addresses and numbers. References are called three times; if there is no response your application will be pulled and another reference requested. Students and retired individuals can supply a professional such as a teacher, counselor, clergy, doctor, lawyer or dentist as a reference if they are not working. If you have any questions please ask us.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Interview with the coordinator or manager of volunteers.
Note: A limited background check will be conducted.
- Good attitude
- Willing to learn
What do you get out of volunteering?
An opportunity to:
- Learn new skills
- Make new friends
- Develop new interests
- Grow in understanding
- Enjoy the satisfaction that comes from helping others