- Acromegaly (buildup of too much growth hormone in the body)
- Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome (growth disorder that causes large body size, large organs, and other symptoms)
- Congenital hypothyroidism (decreased production of thyroid hormone)
- Diabetes (high blood sugar caused by body producing too little or no insulin)
- Down syndrome (extra copy of chromosome 21, which causes problems with physical and intellectual functioning)
- Lymphangioma or hemangioma (malformations in the lymph system or buildup of blood vessels in the skin or internal organs)
- Mucopolysaccharidoses (a group of diseases that cause large amounts of sugar to build up in the body's cells and tissues)
- Primary amyloidosis (a buildup of abnormal proteins in the body's tissues and organs)
Macroglossia is a disorder in which the tongue is larger than normal.
Macroglossia is usually caused by an increase in the amount of tissue on the tongue, rather than by a growth, such as a tumor.
This condition can be seen in certain inherited or congenital (existing at birth) disorders, including:
Dorland's Online Medical Dictionary. Available at: dorlands.com/def.jsp?id=100062359. Accessed May 15, 2015.
Stedman's Online Medical Dictionary. Available at: www.stedmansonline.com/content.aspx?id=mlrM0100001416&termtype=t. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Review date:
- December 07, 2016
- Reviewed by:
- Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, clinical assistant professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2008 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.