Also known as: What to ask your doctor about headaches, Migraine - what to ask your doctor, Tension-type headache - what to ask your doctor or Cluster headache - what to ask your doctor
- Are there foods that I should stay away from that may make my headaches worse?
- Are there medicines that may be causing my headaches?
- Will alcohol or smoking make my headaches worse?
- Will exercise help my headaches?
- Will taking too many pain medicines make my headaches worse?
- What are the side effects of these medicines?
- Will any of these medicines make me sleepy or confused?
- Are there medicines I can take that will stop an oncoming headache?
- What can I do when I have headaches at work?
A headache is pain or discomfort in your head, scalp, or neck.
Below are questions you may want to ask your health care provider about your headaches.
How can I tell if the headache I am having is dangerous?
What medical problems can cause headaches? What tests do I need?
What changes in my lifestyle may help my headaches?
What are the pain medicines that can be used for headaches?
What should I do when I feel a headache beginning?
Are there medicines that I can take that will make my headaches come less often?
What can I do about nausea or vomiting with my headaches?
Are there any herbs or supplements that I can take that will help? How do I know if they are safe?
Digre KB. Headaches and other head pain. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Goldman Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2016:chap 398.
Garza I, Swanson JW, Cheshire WP Jr, et al. Headache and other craniofacial pain. In: Daroff RB, Fenichel GM, Jankovic J, Mazziotta JC, eds. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2012:chap 69.
Kwiatkowski T, Friedman BW. Headache disorders. In: Marx JA, Hockberger RS, Walls RM, et al., eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2013:chap 103.
- Review date:
- August 02, 2015
- Reviewed by:
- Laura J. Martin, MD, MPH, ABIM Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Atlanta, GA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2008 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.