This study will collect safety data on the Ovitex® surgical mesh that has been approved by the FDA for use in hernia repair surgery. Patients will have 1 study visit before surgery and follow-up visits at 1, 3, 12, and 24 months after surgery.
- Trial ID:
- Mark Takata, M.D.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a ventral hernia that requires surgical repair with an implant to reinforce or replace weakened or missing tissue.
- Be willing to complete the full 2 years of the study.
- Meet all other eligibility criteria
- Have a hernia that does not meet eligibility criteria
- Have a Body Mass Index greater than 35
- Be pregnant or planning a pregnancy
- Have a history of drug or alcohol abuse within the last 3 years
- Have an allergy to ovine-derived (sheep) products
- Surgical meshes made from synthetic materials are typically used for hernia repair in patients with a low to moderate risk of post-operative complications. OviTex® is a biologic surgical mesh made from ovine (sheep) tissue. The goal of this study is to see if the OviTex® surgical mesh will result in fewer complications and better hernia repair.