The Scripps Mercy Hospital Residency Selection Committee reviews all applications for the transitional year residency program based on the following criteria:
- Academic performance
- Clinical performance
- Letters of recommendation
- Communication skills
- Motivation and integrity
- Candidates must graduate from schools accredited by the Liaison Council on Medical Education and the American Osteopathic Association.
- Candidates who graduate from medical schools outside of the United States must have a valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). In addition, candidates must have a postgraduate training authorization letter from the Medical Board of California and meet strict academic criteria. We do not offer observerships.
- Scripps Mercy Hospital participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). All PGY-1 positions are offered through the NRMP.
- Applications must be processed through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Paper applications are not accepted.
- We do not offer pre-match positions.
- Due to the large volume of applications, interviews are by invitation only and distributed through ERAS.
- Transitional year
- Number of positions: 12
- NRMP match number: 1048999P0
- Transitional Year / Anesthesia-UCSD
- Number of positions: 6
- NRMP match number: 1048999P2
November 30, 2017 is the application deadline for Transitional Year programs. We will not accept ERAS applications past the deadline.
All application documents must be submitted through ERAS, including:
- ERAS application
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Official medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation addressed according to ERAS instructions. One of the three letters should be from a ranking member of the medical school (e.g. department chair in medicine).
- USMLE/COMLEX/NBME scores Step 1 and 2 (Step 2 if available, however not mandatory for application review). All applicants must have passed USMLE/COMLEX examinations on first attempt. Applicants with failures will not be considered.
- Brief personal statement, which should address the student’s educational plans. (Categorical internal medicine applicants include fellowship or practice plans, if known.)
- Graduation from medical school within the last five years
- Must submit Step 2 (CK/CS) results by December 20.
- US clinical experience is preferred, but not required. Must document with letter of recommendation from a supervising physician.
- The Scripps Mercy Hospital Transitional Year Residency Program does not offer any form of Visa support.
Transitional year residency interviews:
November 22, 2017 through January 26, 2018
Interviews will not be held during the holidays:
November 23 and 24, Thanksgiving holiday and December 18 through January 1.
Applicants attend ward rounds and conferences (morning report and resident noon conference), receive a facility tour and can speak with current residents. They will interview with a faculty member and a resident and meet the program director, director of Graduate Medical Education, associate program directors and chief residents.
The invitation will provide lodging, driving, parking and other information.