The Scripps Mercy Hospital Residency Selection Committee reviews all applications for the Transitional Year Residency Program based on the following criteria:
- Academic performance
- Clinical performance
- Letters of recommendation
- Communication skills
- Motivation and integrity
- Candidates must graduate from schools accredited by the Liaison Council on Medical Education and the American Osteopathic Association.
- Candidates who graduate from medical schools outside of the United States must have a valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). In addition, candidates must have a postgraduate training authorization letter from the Medical Board of California and meet strict academic criteria. We do not offer observerships.
- Scripps Mercy Hospital participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). All PGY-1 positions are offered through the NRMP.
- Applications must be processed through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Paper applications are not accepted.
- We do not offer pre-match positions.
- Due to the large volume of applications, interviews are by invitation only and distributed through ERAS.
- Transitional year
- Number of positions: 12
- NRMP match number: 1048999P0
- Transitional Year / Anesthesia-UCSD
- Number of positions: 6
- NRMP match number: 1048999P2
November 30, 2018 is the application deadline for Transitional Year programs. We will not accept Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) applications past the deadline.
All application documents must be submitted through ERAS, including:
- ERAS application
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Official medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation addressed according to ERAS instructions. One of the three letters should be from a ranking member of the medical school (e.g. department chair in medicine).
- USMLE/COMLEX/NBME scores Step 1 and 2 (Step 2 if available, however not mandatory for application review). All applicants must have passed USMLE/COMLEX examinations on first attempt. Applicants with failures will not be considered.
- Brief personal statement, which should address the student’s educational plans. (Categorical internal medicine applicants include fellowship or practice plans, if known.)
- Graduation from medical school within the last five years
- Must submit Step 2 (CK/CS) results by December 20.
- US clinical experience is preferred, but not required. Must document with letter of recommendation from a supervising physician.
- The Scripps Mercy Hospital Transitional Year Residency Program does not offer any form of Visa support.
Transitional year residency interviews:
- November 28, 2018 through January 25, 2019
Interviews will not be held during the holidays:
- November 22 and 23, Thanksgiving holiday and December 17 through January 1.
Applicants attend ward rounds and conferences (morning report and resident noon conference), receive a facility tour and can speak with current residents. They will interview with a faculty member and a resident and meet the program director, director of Graduate Medical Education, associate program directors and chief residents.
The invitation will provide lodging, driving, parking and other information.