- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
As a cardiologist, David Rubenson, MD, practices all aspects of general cardiology. He has special clinical interests in valvular heart disease, echocardiography and cardiac disease in athletes. In addition to his clinical practice, he has a research focus on echocardiography and its use in diagnosis. His team is also actively studying the use of new cardiac ultrasound techniques and equipment.
Throughout his tenure at Scripps, Dr. Rubenson has held numerous leadership positions including his election to Chief of Staff at Scripps Green Hospital and to the Scripps Clinic Medical Group board of directors. He is a member of numerous professional societies and was awarded fellowship in the American Society of Echocardiography, including serving on their board of directors. He is also a fellow of the American College of Cardiology and serves on the American Heart Association’s Council of Clinical Cardiology.
An avid educator, he has been a lecturer at numerous national and regional meetings and courses. His ongoing teaching roles include associate clinical professor of medicine at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and active participation in the Scripps Clinic Internal Medicine Residency and Cardiovascular Fellowship Program.
Dr. Rubenson’s non-professional interests include woodworking, with an emphasis on constructing Craftsman-style furniture. He operates a small apple orchard in the local San Diego mountain town of Julian and is interested in new methods of apple production. He loves hiking and mountain travel and has climbed in Nepal, Tanzania, the Western Alps and extensively in the Western United States.
Dr. Rubenson joined the division of cardiovascular diseases at Scripps Clinic in 1981.
- National Board of Echocardiography, Adult Comprehensive Echocardiography, 2004
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiology, 1981
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, 1976
- University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, MD, 1973
- University of California, San Diego, Internal Medicine, 1976
- Stanford University Medical Center, Cardiovascular Disease, 1980
- US Public Health Service Hospital, Cardiovascular Disease, 1978
If you see an error or omission on a provider’s profile page, please contact us.