Charles Smith, MD
Charles Smith, MD, is a neurologist specializing in multiple sclerosis (MS) and neurorehabilitation. Dr. Smith offers his patients comprehensive treatment that includes management of MS-related fatigue, cognitive impairment and bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction. He is also experienced in spasticity, spinal cord diseases and spinal cord injuries.
Prior to joining Scripps Clinic, Dr. Smith was director of the Multiple Sclerosis Comprehensive Care Centers at White Plains and Bronx Lebanon Hospital Centers in New York. He also served as director of the federally-funded Medical Rehabilitation Research and Training Center for Multiple Sclerosis at both Albert Einstein College of Medicine and New York Medical College. During this time he was recognized multiple times by New York Magazine as one of the “Best Doctors in New York.” He has also received multiple recognitions from the National MS Society, Southern Pacific Coast Chapter, including “Health Care Provider of the Year” and was identified as a “Top Doctor” by US News and World Report.
His scientific articles about MS and other neurological conditions have been published in more than 40 medical journals. Dr. Smith is a fellow of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada and a member of the American Academy of Neurology.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology, 1984
- University of Toronto, MD, 1976
- St Michael's Hospital, Residency, Electrophysiology, 1980
- Mount Sinai Hospital, Residency, Neurology, 1979
- Toronto General Hospital, Residency, Neurology, 1979
- Toronto Western Hospital, Residency, Internal Medicine, 1978
- St Michael's Hospital, Residency, Neurology, 1978
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Fellowship, Neuro-immunology, 1983
If you see an error or omission on a provider’s profile page, please contact us.