Our Oncology Nurse Navigator Program is one of the many ways Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center practices personalized care for you or your loved one. By partnering with a registered nurse who is specially trained in oncology (the study and treatment of cancer), you can more easily navigate each phase of care.
These invaluable members of your multidisciplinary cancer care team passionately uphold our patient-centered care approach. Whether you are newly diagnosed or undergoing treatment for a recurrent condition, you’ll have the support of an oncology nurse navigator from day one. They can provide education, help you gather information, foster strong communications between you and your medical team and ensure that you understand all tests, procedures and the recommended course of cancer treatment.
Specifically, Scripps MD Anderson oncology nurse navigators provide support and encouragement by:
- Providing education to help you understand your cancer diagnosis and treatment options on a deeper level
- Ensuring you have the information you need to be empowered to make informed decisions and actively participate in your care
- Serving as a vital communications link among your physicians and other care providers on your team
- Addressing any questions, concerns and possible clinical issues until they are successfully resolved
- Acting as your advocate with the goal of helping you through your cancer journey into survivorship
- Guiding patients to resources at Scripps and in the community, such as support groups, classes and events and programs to help with obtaining affordable wigs and head coverings
Not only do our patients greatly benefit from our Oncology Nurse Navigator Program, family members and caregivers receive the support they need to guide their loved ones to the best possible outcome. Speak to your cancer care team about working with a nurse navigator today.