Because our visual system is constantly developing throughout our early years, it is critical that vision and eye problems that develop during infancy or childhood are managed appropriately.
Scripps Clinic recognizes this and offers medical and surgical eye care uniquely suited to the pediatric population, as well as adults suffering from strabismus (crossed or wandering eyes). Our Pediatric Ophthalmology Program meets San Diego’s growing need for experts who can care for complex eye problems in kids, from birth to age 18.
Scripps Clinic Pediatric Ophthalmology Program can provide care for a wide variety of pediatric vision and eye problems, ranging from common conditions like blocked tear ducts to rare disorders such as pediatric glaucoma, which requires sophisticated surgery. Clinical expertise includes:
- Adult strabismus (crossed eyes)
- Amblyopia therapy (weak or lazy eye)
- Assessing vision in children with special needs
- Blocked tear duct
- Nystagmus (jiggling eyes)
- Orbital dermoids (cysts around the eye)
- Pediatric cataracts
- Pediatric glaucoma
- Pediatric ptosis (drooping eyelids)
- Pediatric strabismus (crossed eyes)
- Pediatric uveitis (an inflammatory eye disease)
- Retinopathy of prematurity
The Pediatric Ophthalmology Program is located at Scripps Clinic Carmel Valley, a state-of-the-art facility that offers nearly 20 medical and surgical specialties, an on-site lab, and a digital imaging center all under one roof.
In an effort to ensure accuracy and rapid diagnosis, our office uses only the most advanced vision testing equipment. We also offer colorful, child-friendly exam rooms to help ensure our young patients enjoy their visit with us.