Scripps Health offers occupational therapy in hospitals, outpatient clinics and home care settings to help adults and children with disabling orthopedic or neurological conditions to recover, maintain or develop daily living skills.
From using a computer to getting dressed, our certified occupational therapists help their patients compensate for the permanent or temporary loss of function caused by illness, injury or surgery.
Learn more about the occupational therapy services offered at Scripps Health.
Occupational therapists at Scripps Health in San Diego possess the expertise to help their patients improve their ability to perform tasks in their home and work environments. They specialize in caring for people who are attempting to overcome mental, physical, developmental or emotional challenges caused by, but not limited to, the following:
- Brain or spinal cord injuries
- Neurological disorders including Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Cerebrovascular disease such as stroke
- Trauma caused by accidents
- Recovery from surgery
Using treatments and activities tailored to each patient’s challenges, occupational therapists help their clients improve reasoning ability and basic motor functions so they can achieve greater independence and lead a more productive life. Occupational therapy at Scripps may include the following:
- Assessment of cognitive abilities in home and work environments
- Retraining or therapeutic intervention to improve independence in activities of daily living
- Exercises and activities to improve mobility, dexterity, strength, sensory processing, range of motion and endurance
- Task modification recommendations
- Assistive devices to increase independence
- Wheelchair evaluations
- Constraint-induced movement therapy
Our San Diego occupational therapists provide care and consultations in hospitals, outpatient clinics and homes. Because they work closely with a patient’s physician, a referral is needed to make an appointment.