Helping With Speech, Language and Voice Disorders
Scripps Health offers speech therapy for adults and children who have speech, language, voice or swallowing disorders.
Our services are available throughout San Diego to treat speech therapy conditions in outpatient clinics, home care settings and hospitals, as well as our state-of-the-art Scripps Center for Voice and Swallowing.
Find a convenient Scripps Health location near you that offers speech therapy services.
Conditions treated by speech therapists
Speech therapists, also known as speech-language pathologists, are trained to assess, diagnose and treat patients with a wide variety of congenital, developmental and acquired conditions, including:
- Communication difficulties caused by stroke or traumatic brain injury, including aphasia and apraxia
- Swallowing or feeding disorders, including dysphagia, resulting from stroke or neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis
- Speech problems such as stuttering or lisping
- Communication difficulties caused by hearing impairment or birth defects such as cleft palate
- Voice disorders including inappropriate pitch or harsh voice, often caused by head and neck cancer or vocal cord damage
- Delayed language development
Speech therapy services
Scripps speech therapists work closely with physicians such as neurologists, oncologists, pediatricians, and ear, nose and throat specialists to thoroughly evaluate, diagnose and treat patients.
Tools for diagnosing speech therapy conditions
- Comprehensive speech-language-cognitive evaluations
- Modified barium swallow studies, including digital video fluoroscopy
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES)
- Endoscopy of the larynx using videostroboscopy
Speech therapy treatments
Treatment plans are tailored to each patient’s needs and include a variety of techniques, such as:
- Exercises designed to strengthen the muscles used in swallowing or speaking
- External electrical stimulation such as VitalStim therapy
- Lee Silverman voice treatment (LSVT) for patients with Parkinson's disease
- Recommendations or prescriptions for augmentative communication devices
- Patient and caregiver education including home treatment plans
Speech therapy locations
Speech therapy services are offered at the following Scripps Health locations in San Diego County: