Transforming Heart Care in San Diego
As a young boy recovering from a heart infection, local philanthropist Conrad Prebys never dreamed that one day he would help fight against the disease that once threatened his life.
In July 2011, Conrad did just that by donating $45 million to Scripps Health — the largest donation in our history — to help build the premier destination for heart care on the West Coast. In recognition of this generous gift, the seven-story center currently being built on the Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla campus will be named Prebys Cardiovascular Institute.
A new era in medicine
Scheduled to open in 2015 at an estimated cost of more than $456 million, the 383,000-square-foot building will usher in a new era of medicine and transform heart care for generations to come. By combining the best of innovation and technology, plans for the Prebys Cardiovascular Institute will include:
- 108 medical/surgical beds and 60 intensive care beds in private, single-patient rooms
- Four state-of-the-art cardiovascular operating rooms
- Hybrid operating suites that will accommodate both open heart surgery and catheter-based procedures, minimizing the need to move patients for separate treatments.
- Clinical research on potential wireless technologies to offer improved patient care.
- Diagnostic and interventional procedures that will be captured digitally and made available for physician follow up at the patient’s bedside, allowing for increased confidentiality.
- Genomic medicine to provide patients individualized care plans as identified by genomic testing and counseling.
- Four cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology labs.
- Centralized cardiovascular research labs
- A center for graduate medical education for physicians
Streamlined heart and multidisciplinary care
As part of the Campaign for Cardiovascular Care, the Prebys Cardiovascular Institute will connect to the John R. Anderson V Medical Pavilion, which will provide an array of services, including interventional and integrative cardiology, pulmonary medicine, diabetes care and more.
For more information
Learn more in our iPad app
Check out our free “ScrippsFoundation” iPad app. It’s available in the iPad App Store.