We understand that hospital care can be expensive and is often unexpected. If you don’t have insurance or have difficulty paying for medical costs, Scripps has options that may help. Learn more below about options and policies that may apply to your specific situation.
Your options may include:
- Financial assistance — full or partial charity care based on family size and income
- Cash pay program — discounted bills for uninsured patients, regardless of income level
- Payment plans — interest-free, extended-payment plans
We make every effort to identify patients who may benefit from financial assistance as soon as possible and provide counseling and language interpretation when needed. In addition, we will not apply wage garnishment or liens on primary residences as a way of collecting unpaid hospital bills.
Eligibility for financial assistance is based on your gross family income and expenses. For low-income, uninsured patients who earn less than twice the federal poverty level (FPL), we will fully forgive the entire bill. For patients who earn between two and four times the FPL, we will forgive a portion of your bill. We will not charge patients qualified for financial assistance more than Scripps’ discounted financial assistance amount.
To learn more, see our Financial Assistance Policy Summary in English and Spanish. (PDF, 90 KB)
Scripps patient account policy
- Patient Accounts - Financial Assistance, including Charity Care, Hospital Services in English (PDF, 170 KB)
- Cuentas del Paciente, Ayuda Financiera, incluyendo Servicios de Caridad, Servicios Hospitalarios in Spanish (PDF, 150 KB)
Patient account management policy
Not all doctors who practice at Scripps Health take part in our Financial Assistance Policy. To see if your doctor is included, review the Financial Assistance Provider Listing (PDF, 430 KB) of participating and nonparticipating doctors.
If your doctor’s name is highlighted on the list, that indicates he or she is included in the Scripps Financial Assistance Policy. If their name is not highlighted, he or she does not participate in the Scripps Financial Assistance Policy; be sure to ask if he or she has a private financial assistance policy.
Whether or not your doctor is listed as covered by the Scripps policy, it is a good idea to check with your doctor’s office directly to ensure you get the most recent, accurate information.
You may qualify for a government-sponsored program, such as Medi-Cal, County Medical Services or Medicare. To obtain an application for Medi-Cal, please call 866-262-9881 or request one from the hospital registration staff. Effective Jan. 1, 2014, new income requirements mean that Medi-Cal can cover more people even if they didn’t qualify in the past.
You may also qualify for insurance through the Covered California health insurance exchange. Depending on your income level, you may be able to purchase an insurance plan with the help of government subsidies that reduce the cost of your monthly premium. To learn more, visit CoveredCA.com or call 800-300-1506.
To see if you qualify for financial assistance or to obtain a free copy of the policy and application by mail, contact your financial counselors at 877-727-4777 or visit the main admitting department at any Scripps hospital.
Please note: The Scripps Financial Assistance Policy reflects our commitment to the community and our mission and values in a way that is also financially responsible and consistent for all parties.
Apply electronically on MyScripps
- Login to your MyScripps account. This link will take you directly to the Financial Assistance section. You can also find it under Menu, then Billing. (If you don’t have a MyScripps account, click “Sign up now” from the main screen.)
- Follow the prompts to complete each section of the application, including Personal Info, Income, Expenses and Upload.
- To expedite the process, first download and complete the application in English (PDF, 100 KB) or Spanish (PDF, 100 KB) so you can upload it to MyScripps.
Or, apply by standard mail, email or fax
Please print a copy of the financial assistance assessment form through the links below:
- Financial Assistance form in English (PDF, 100 KB)
- Declaración de la evaluación financiera del [la] paciente (PDF, 100 KB)
For Medication Financial Assistance, please contact your prescriber or provider specialist clinic.