Scripps primary care physicians provide comprehensive and compassionate care throughout San Diego County, focusing on preventive services. For your convenience, our doctors offer several options for ongoing care, including extended office hours and Video Visits. Walk-in, same-day care is available seven days a week for minor illnesses and injuries at 14 Scripps HealthExpress clinics and three urgent care centers.
When you choose a Scripps primary care physician, you may also have access to nationally renowned specialty care and award-winning hospitals and programs. Ranked among the nation’s best by U.S. News & World Report, Scripps offers personalized primary and specialty care.
Primary care physicians focus on preventive medicine and care for a wide range of conditions and diseases. If you need specialized care, your primary care doctor can refer you to a specialist and coordinate your care.
Your relationship with your primary care physician is an important one that can span decades. Your primary care physician is the doctor you will visit for most medical needs, including routine screenings and annual check-ups, as well as non-emergency illnesses, such as ear infections and viruses. Primary care doctors also help manage chronic conditions, such as diabetes and hypertension.
If you have an HMO or a managed health care plan, your primary care physician will be the doctor who refers you to a specialist, if needed. You will need to choose a primary care physician when you enroll in an HMO or managed health care plan.
Scripps offers more care in more places, with primary care offices located throughout San Diego County from North County to South Bay. With multilingual physicians and staff at many locations, Scripps has the primary care physician who’s right for you. When you choose a Scripps primary care doctor, you also have access to nationally renowned specialist and hospital care.
From Chula Vista and La Jolla to Encinitas and beyond, our extensive network includes:
- Hundreds of primary care providers who offer early morning, evening and Saturday hours
- Same-day, walk-in care seven days a week at Scripps HealthExpress
- E-Visits, Video Visits and Symptom Checker through Scripps Virtual Care
- Three urgent care locations
- Four emergency departments if you need emergency or trauma care
- Award-winning hospitals
- A wide variety of health plans accepted
Scripps offers hundreds of primary care physicians at locations throughout San Diego County. Some of these doctors have private offices conveniently located in your neighborhood. When you choose a doctor from our affiliated medical groups, you have access to a broad network of specialists.
You may choose a primary care physician from a wide array of locations and medical groups, including:
- Scripps Clinic
- Scripps Coastal Medical Centers
- Scripps Physicians Medical Group
- Mercy Physicians Medical Group
- Scripps Mercy Physician Partners
Choosing a primary care physician is an important first step in managing your health care. Family medicine physicians, internal medicine physicians and pediatricians are all considered primary care physicians, but there are some differences.
- Family medicine physicians care for all ages.
- Internal medicine physicians care for adults only.
- Pediatricians care for infants, children and teens only.
Your primary care physician acts as your personal physician and is usually the first doctor you see for any health problem. As the quarterback for your health care, they help you get and stay healthy and they’ll coordinate any specialty care you might need. If you’re considering an HMO or managed health care plan, you’ll need to choose a primary care physician as part of your enrollment.
To help you choose the best primary care physician for you and your family, check our Doctor Finder. Whether you’re looking for a physician who speaks a certain language or has specific expertise in nutrition, women’s health or sports medicine, our Doctor Finder can help.
The Doctor Finder tool can be used to search for a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant by name, specialty, hospital affiliation, gender, language and practice location. Many of our physicians have videos online to help you get to know them.
You can call our physician referral specialists at 800-727-4777 for more information about our doctors, services and classes.
Learn more about:
- How to choose a primary care physician
- Health insurance plans that include Scripps doctors and hospitals
- Where to get your flu vaccine
- Walk-in clinics open seven days a week for minor illnesses and injuries
- The difference between an MD and a DO
- Whether you should go to a walk-in clinic, emergency room or urgent care