With a focus on reducing pain and improving mobility, we offer comprehensive orthopedic care for San Diego. This includes diagnosing, treating and rehabilitating all musculoskeletal areas of the body — bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, connecting soft tissues and nerves. Orthopedic services offered at Scripps include:
Christine Burke gets back on track after hip replacement
Christine Burke gets back on track after hip replacement
Learn more about Christine's life before and after hip replacement surgery.
Common orthopedic conditions and injuries
From sports injuries to degenerative joint diseases, orthopedic surgeons at Scripps treat a wide range of conditions.
Arthritis and other bone or muscle conditions
- Arthritis — osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, which often causes swelling and inflammation of joints over time.
- Bursitis — an inflammation of one or more of the major joints of the body such as the shoulder, elbows, hips and knees.
- Degenerative joints — such as the knees, hips, ankles or shoulders requiring treatment that may include up to a total knee replacement, hip replacement, ankle replacement or shoulder replacement.
- Fibromyalgia — is characterized by chronic pain in the soft tissue and muscle surrounding the body’s joints.
- Osteomyelitis — a bone infection caused by bacteria or other germs.
Back, spine and neck conditions
- Adult and pediatric spinal deformity — abnormal curvatures of the spine that may require spine surgery.
- Chronic back pain — including lower back pain and nerve impingement that can be caused by a herniated disc.
- Degenerative disc disease — a condition that can result in damage to the discs in your back from injury or aging.
- Neck pain — including soft tissue injuries or cervical disc degeneration.
- Scoliosis — a condition that causes severe spinal curvature.
- Spinal stenosis — a narrowing of the spinal column that can result in pressure on the spinal nerves, causing pain.
Learn more about spine surgery.
Hip, knee, foot and ankle conditions
- Foot pain — can be caused by bone spurs, sprains, tendonitis and more.
- Knee injuries — including tears of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial collateral ligament (MCL) and meniscus (cartilage).
Learn more about knee replacement, hip replacement and other types of joint repair and replacement.
Shoulder, wrist and hand conditions
- Elbow pain — including tennis elbow, baseball elbow and golfer’s elbow.
- Hand and wrist pain — including carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis
- Shoulder pain or injuries — including shoulder dislocation, AC joint separation and rotator cuff tears.
Learn more about shoulder surgery and other types of joint repair and replacement.
Sports injuries or other trauma
- Fractures of the bones — including emergency trauma injuries or stress fractures.
- Sports injuries — including ankle sprains, joint dislocations, runner’s knee and many others that may be caused by trauma, overuse or simply aging.
Learn more about sports medicine.
Scripps has an orthopedic doctor near you
With more than 150 board-certified orthopedic surgeons throughout San Diego County, we offer patients convenient access to expert medical care in state-of-the-art facilities and hospitals. From Oceanside to Chula Vista, you’ll find the right care where and when you need it. Learn more on our orthopedic locations page.
We are now offering Video Visits for some specialty care appointments. If you are interested in scheduling a Video Visit, contact the provider’s office directly. The doctor’s office will work with you to determine if this is the right type of visit for you.
With more than 135 board-certified Scripps orthopedic surgeons across San Diego County, from Encinitas and La Jolla to Chula Vista, Scripps give patients convenient access to specialized care. Learn more on our orthopedic locations page.
Our extensive team of providers includes orthopedic specialists who are world-class experts in a wide variety of specialties and subspecialties who can diagnose and treat conditions of the musculoskeletal system. Whether you need sports medicine, podiatry, spine surgery, hand and wrist surgery, total or partial joint replacement — including knee replacement and hip replacement — plus foot and ankle reconstruction. Scripps’ experts are here to help. We collaborate with Scripps primary care physicians and experts in other specialties to ensure that you receive comprehensive, customized care.
Find the right orthopedic doctor for you with our Doctor Finder tool.
Nationally ranked care
Scripps is consistently ranked among the nation’s best for orthopedic care by U.S. News & World Report. The distinction is based on key metrics that include quality, patient outcomes, and system capabilities and facilities. The Donald P. and Darlene V. Shiley Musculoskeletal Center at Scripps Clinic, adjacent to Scripps Green Hospital, is among the nation’s top destinations for orthopedic care.
Scripps hospitals have also received the “Blue Distinction Center” designation from Blue Cross Blue Shield for orthopedic care. This national designation reflects the ability to deliver high quality and safer specialty care, based on surgical teams’ expertise and historical patient outcomes.
Scripps orthopedic doctors and teams use advanced imaging technologies and FDA-approved implants to ensure patients can receive the most appropriate diagnostic evaluations and treatments. Learn more about our high-tech knee replacement, hip replacement and shoulder surgery that may give you quicker recovery times.
Leading-edge orthopedic research
Scientists at Scripps Clinic’s Shiley Center for Orthopaedic Research and Education (SCORE) are on the leading edge in developing artificial cartilage, testing new devices and surgical techniques and conducting publicly and privately funded clinical research to support the highest possible orthopedic care. Learn more about orthopedic research at Scripps.
Looking to the future
Scripps is training the next generation of orthopedic surgeons and specialists through our graduate medical education and fellowship programs.
Support services and resources
As leaders in orthopedic care, we know what it takes to keep joints healthy. That’s why we equip our patients with support services and resources to help them achieve their best possible outcome. From connecting you with rehab services to empowering you with educational resources, Scripps offers a comprehensive lineup to help you along every step of your journey.
We are here for you — not only as your orthopedic surgeons, but as a team of experts who understands that your joint health is about much more than your medical treatment. Specifically, Scripps offers a variety of patient support services to ensure your physical and emotional well-being, as well as resources for dealing with the logistical aspects of your care.
Our services include:
- Home health care when you require skilled intermittent care in the comfort of your home.
- Nutrition and weight-maintenance services with registered dietitians of Scripps Center for Weight Management and Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine to help you plan meals that align with your health goals.
- Physical rehabilitation and occupational therapy to help you get back on your feet following an injury, illness or surgery.
- Visiting patient services if you reside beyond San Diego and want help arranging appointments or learning more about short-term lodging.
For more offerings, please visit our patient resources section.
Glossary and other resources
Also, patient education is an important part of understanding your joint condition and treatment plan. To stay informed, we encourage our orthopedic patients to:
- Bookmark the Scripps glossary of orthopedic terms for easy referencing.
- Watch the pre- and post-surgery videos your doctor recommends.
- Consult your orthopedic team for educational materials and a list of trusted online sources beyond the Scripps site.
Always check with your orthopedic surgeon first to ensure that you have the most accurate information for your particular medical condition or need.