Scripps cardiologists are San Diego’s top choice for heart care, seeing more patients than any other health care system. They serve patients with heart conditions including coronary artery disease, abnormal rhythms (arrhythmia), valve problems, congestive heart failure and more.
Our cardiologists provide first-line cardiac care and collaborate with other Scripps heart specialists to leverage medical expertise and technologies across the Scripps Health system. Additionally, Kaiser Permanente cardiologists have partnered with Scripps cardiovascular surgeons for more than 30 years to care for Kaiser Permanente heart patients. Learn more about how this collaboration has contributed to the program’s high-quality care, superior patient outcomes and national recognition.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Scripps the best in San Diego for cardiology and heart surgery. Learn more about the recognition and the many reasons we are San Diego’s heart care leader.
Though we care for thousands of cardiac patients during a year, each patient's story is unique. Hear from a few of our patients who chose Scripps for their heart care and now are on the road to recovery.
From support groups to integrative medicine and physician referral specialists, Scripps offers a variety of resources for people with cardiovascular disease and those looking to keep their heart healthy.
- Women's Heart Center
- Heart tests and heart disease diagnosis
- Structural heart disease treatments
- Interventional cardiology
- Cardiac arrhythmia treatment
- Heart failure treatment
- Peripheral vascular disease treatment
- Adult congenital heart disease treatment
- Cardiovascular and thoracic surgery
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD)
Scripps cardiologists diagnose, treat and coordinate patient care with physicians and surgeons who specialize in all types of cardiac conditions and underlying health challenges related to the heart.
Scripps cardiologists also serve as a heart health coach, helping patients manage, reduce or eliminate risk factors for heart disease such as hypertension and cholesterol. Cardiologists play a vital role in evaluating patients, prescribing medications and working hand-in-hand with heart specialists who are part of an overall treatment plan that can include digital imaging, electrophysiology, interventional cardiology and cardiovascular surgery.
The Prebys Cardiovascular Institute is the West Coast’s largest center for cardiovascular medicine, research and training, helping to shape heart care around the world. Take a photo tour of the state-of-the-art cardiac center in La Jolla.
At Scripps, we offer a comprehensive heart care program maintained by renowned cardiology experts who use advanced technology and landmark research to treat some of the most complex heart cases.
It is because of this that Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla and Scripps Green Hospital were recognized as the best in San Diego for heart care and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report. In addition, Scripps was listed among Becker’s Hospital Review’s 100 Hospitals With Great Heart Programs" in 2013.
The cardiologists and cardiac surgeons at Scripps:
- Treat more heart care patients in San Diego than any other health care system
- Offer exceptional quality care, often exceeding state averages in delivering evidence-based interventions
- Provide care at more locations across San Diego including four STEMI receiving center emergency rooms and multiple urgent care centers that can recognize even the smallest symptoms of a heart attack
- Use innovative research for the improvement of heart care including leading-edge studies for valve replacement and genomic testing for cholesterol-reducing drugs
- Offer advanced treatment options including robotic-assisted surgery
- Offer women with heart disease support and resources through the national WomenHeart program
- Are backed by a legacy of exceptional health care in San Diego dating back over 90 years
Read more about our exceptional heart care in the Scripps Cardiovascular Care Annual Report 2016 (PDF, 3.9 MB).
Scripps physicians care for your heart through a patient-centered approach that combines medical expertise with teamwork across cardiovascular specialties.
For patients and their families, heart care initially can seem daunting to understand various heart conditions, tests and procedures with a language of their own. To help, we’ve prepared a reference guide of cardiology basics.
Becoming familiar with common terms and heart physician specialties can give you a head start to greater understanding. That’s because at Scripps, our cardiology services teams have one goal: help you get better.
Scripps is the heart of San Diego heart care.