- Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas
- 354 Santa Fe Drive
- Encinitas, CA 92024 US 33.0377 -117.284
- Visiting Hours
- 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Visiting hours may be adjusted based on the patient's needs or wishes.
- Emergency Services
- The ER is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
A Collaborative Environment for Lung Cancer Care
Scripps Cancer Center offers specialized services for patients with lung cancer, from , to advanced and .
Types of lung cancer
There are two main types of lung cancer:
- Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is the most common type of lung cancer
- Small cell lung cancer makes up about 20% of all lung cancer cases
If the lung cancer includes both types, it is called mixed small cell/large cell cancer.
Metastatic cancer to the lung is cancer that started somewhere else in the body and spread to the lungs.
Treating lung cancer
Treatment procedures often involve a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, all conducted under the supervision of the patient’s care team.
Our multidisciplinary team blends the expertise of health professionals who have specialized training in lung cancer care and oncology, including:
- Medical oncologists to coordinate care
- Pulmonary medicine specialists skilled in diagnosing and evaluating lung cancers
- Board-certified surgeons with extensive training in lung procedures, including minimally-invasive and laparoscopic approaches
- Pathologists experienced in lung cancer diagnosis and research
- Radiation oncologists providing the latest radiation therapy techniques
- Radiologists trained in diagnostic procedures related to pulmonary diseases
- Respiratory therapists who work to preserve and improve pulmonary function (pulmonary rehabilitation)
- Cancer care navigator program, featuring registered oncology nurses who work with patients to facilitate the care process
- Patient support and guidance from cancer social workers