Orthopedics at Scripps
Scripps orthopedic doctors, surgeons, and clinicians are San Diego’s best team for treating sports injuries, as well as other complex conditions that may require a knee replacement, hip replacement, spinal fusion or procedure for the neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, ankles and feet.
Keeping you active, is what keeps us active. From minimally invasive back surgery to breakthrough research in cartilage replacement therapy, Scripps is the place for orthopedics.
With a focus on reducing pain and improving mobility, our orthopedists offer comprehensive orthopedic care.
From sports injuries to degenerative joint diseases, the orthopedic surgeons at Scripps treat a wide variety of conditions.
As robust contributors to research, the orthopedic surgeons at Scripps are advancing medicine and improving lives.
Scripps has an orthopedic doctor for you
More San Diegans — including the San Diego Padres — trust Scripps for their orthopedic care. With more than 135 board-certified orthopedic surgeons, we offer patients nearly triple the physician choices than the next closest local health care provider.
Scripps is ranked #1 for orthopedics in San Diego by U.S. News & World Report. The top standing is based on key metrics such as quality, patient outcomes and system capabilities and facilities, including the Donald P. and Darlene V. Shiley Musculoskeletal Center at Scripps Clinic, adjacent to Scripps Green Hospital. The facility is among the nation’s top destinations for orthopedic care.
Scripps’ leadership in orthopedics means that patients can receive care from an orthopedic surgeon or orthopedic doctor who is dedicated to a specialty or subspecialty of the musculoskeletal system. Sports medicine, podiatry, spine surgery, hand and wrist surgery, total joint replacement, and foot and ankle reconstruction are offered by Scripps in world-class facilities and award-winning hospital campuses.
Why choose Scripps for orthopedic care
Scripps offers patients the choice of more orthopedic doctors and surgeons than any other San Diego health-care provider by nearly 3-to-1.
Scripps orthopedic teams are expert in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal conditions and injuries that affect the body’s muscles, bones, joints and soft tissues.
More San Diegans choose Scripps for orthopedic care. Here are a few reasons why:
- Choice: Over 135 board-certified Scripps orthopedic surgeons across the region give patients convenient access to specialized care.
- Physician depth: More physician choices mean greater clinical depth and experience in orthopedic specialties and subspecialties, including highly intricate parts of the body such as the hands, wrists, ankles and feet.
- Quality: U.S. News & World Report ranks Scripps #1 for orthopedic care in San Diego. The ranking is based on several key metrics including patient outcomes and physician expertise, as well as reputation for successfully handling challenging cases.
- Recognition: Scripps hospitals have received “Blue Distinction Center” designation from Blue Cross / Blue Shield for orthopedic care. This national designation reflects the ability to deliver high quality and safer specialty care, based on surgical teams’ expertise and historical patient outcomes.
- Advanced technologies: Scripps orthopedic doctors and teams use advanced imaging technologies and FDA-approved implants to ensure patients can receive the most appropriate diagnostic evaluations and treatments.
- World-class teams: Scripps Clinic physical rehabilitation therapists can help patients – including the San Diego Padres – recover from injuries suffered on a Major League Baseball diamond or the neighborhood softball field.
- Research: Scientists at Scripps Clinic’s Shiley Center for Orthopaedic Research and Education (SCORE) are on the leading edge in developing artificial cartilage, testing new devices and surgical techniques and conducting publicly and privately funded clinical research to support the highest possible orthopedic care.
- Education: Scripps is training the next generation of orthopedic surgeons and specialists through graduate medical education and fellowship programs.
Orthopedic care for a variety of conditions and injuries
Scripps orthopedic doctors are conveniently located across San Diego County. They collaborate with multidisciplinary teams that may include rheumatologists, podiatrists, primary care physicians and other clinicians for the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions or injuries such as:
- Bursitis, which is an inflammation of one or more of the major joints of the body such as the shoulder, elbows, hips and knees
- Degenerative joints, including the knees, hips, ankles or shoulders requiring treatment that may include up to a total knee joint replacement, hip joint replacement, ankle replacement or shoulder replacement
- Fibromyalgia, which is characterized by chronic pain in the soft tissue and muscle surrounding the body’s joints
- Foot pain, which can be caused by bone spurs, sprains, tendonitis and more
- Fractures of the bones, including emergency trauma injuries or stress fractures
- Knee injuries, including tears of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial collateral ligament (MCL) and meniscus (cartilage)
- Neck pain, such as soft tissue injuries or cervical disc degeneration
- Osteomyelitis, which is a bone infection caused by bacteria or other germs
- Scoliosis, which is a condition that causes severe spinal curvature
- Shoulder pain or injuries, including shoulder dislocation, AC joint separation and rotator cuff tears
- Sports injuries, including ankle sprains, joint dislocations, runner’s knee and many others that may be caused by trauma, overuse or simply aging
Orthopedic services at Scripps
Scripps provides comprehensive orthopedics care for San Diego. This includes services for diagnosing, treating and rehabilitating all musculoskeletal areas of the body — bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons and cartilage and connecting soft tissues and nerves. Orthopedic services offered at Scripps include:
- General orthopedics
- Knee and hip
- Hand and wrist
- Foot and ankle
- Sports medicine
- Physical rehabilitation
Orthopedic imaging services at Scripps
Scripps offers convenient orthopedic imaging services across San Diego County at our world-class clinics and award-winning hospitals.
Orthopedic research at Scripps
The Shiley Center for Orthopaedic Research and Education (SCORE) at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla conducts leading-edge research to bring the latest discoveries and treatment breakthroughs to patients far faster than traditional clinical trials. Access to investigational drug therapies, innovative medical devices and minimally invasive procedures are available to Scripps patients because of the research conducted at SCORE at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla.
SCORE is uniquely positioned in the region to perform both privately and publicly sponsored research that can benefit not only San Diegans but the world. The center is where Scripps researchers pioneered joint replacement technology known as the electronic knee (e-knee).
SCORE’s research focuses on three primary areas to improve orthopedic care and rehabilitation for patients:
- Laboratory research in the biomechanical and biological study of joint reconstructive techniques and experimental devices to restore joints to the fullest range of motion after traumatic injuries, as well as cartilage tissue engineering and stem cell research for treatment of osteoarthritis or potential regeneration of soft tissues and damaged nerves.
- Clinical research on hip and knee implants, pain management, blood clot prevention, physical rehabilitation and genomics.
- Patient outcomes research that tracks 2,000 people every year who have orthopedic surgeries at Scripps Green Hospital and Scripps Clinic in La Jolla. The surgeries include hip or knee replacement, tissue transplantation (allograft) for knee or ankle, shoulder replacement, finger or toe joint replacement, knee osteotomy and ACL reconstruction.
Orthopedics informational classes and sessions
Scripps provides informational classes and sessions on our orthopedics services and procedures. Please see our calendar of events to learn more.