Cardiac Care at Scripps in San Diego
Scripps cardiologists are San Diego’s top choice for heart care, seeing more patients than any other health care system. They serve patients with heart conditions including coronary artery disease, abnormal rhythms (arrhythmia), valve problems, congestive heart failure and more.
Our cardiologists provide first-line cardiac care and collaborate with other Scripps heart specialists to leverage medical expertise and technologies across the Scripps Health system.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Scripps number one regionally and among the top 20 nationally for cardiology and heart surgery. Learn more about the recognition and the many reasons we are San Diego’s heart care leader.
From healthy recipes and support groups to integrative medicine and physician referral specialists, Scripps offers a variety of resources for people with cardiovascular disease and those looking to keep their heart healthy.
A premier destination for heart care, the Prebys Cardiovascular Institute opened in March 2015, offering the most comprehensive place for heart care on the West Coast.
Top cardiologists across San Diego
Scripps cardiologists diagnose, treat and coordinate patient care with physicians and surgeons who specialize in all types of cardiac conditions and underlying health challenges related to the heart.
Scripps cardiologists also serve as a heart health coach, helping patients manage, reduce or eliminate risk factors for heart disease such as hypertension and cholesterol. Cardiologists play a vital role in evaluating patients, prescribing medications and working hand-in-hand with heart specialists who are part of an overall treatment plan that can include digital imaging, electrophysiology, interventional cardiology and cardiovascular surgery.
San Diego’s leader in heart care
At Scripps, we offer a comprehensive heart care program maintained by renowned cardiology experts who use advanced technology and landmark research to treat some of the most complex heart cases.
It is because of this that Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla and Scripps Green Hospital were recognized among America’s best hospitals for heart care and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report in 2014. In addition, Scripps was listed among Becker’s Hospital Review’s “100 Hospitals With Great Heart Programs” in 2013.
The cardiologists and cardiac surgeons at Scripps:
- Treat more heart care patients in San Diego than any other health care system
- Offer exceptional quality care, often exceeding state averages in delivering evidence-based interventions
- Provide care at more locations across San Diego including four STEMI receiving center emergency rooms and multiple urgent care centers that can recognize even the smallest symptoms of a heart attack
- Use innovative research for the improvement of heart care including leading-edge studies for valve replacement and genomic testing for cholesterol-reducing drugs
- Offer advanced treatment options including robotic-assisted surgery
- Offer women with heart disease support and resources through the national WomenHeart program
- Are backed by a legacy of exceptional health care in San Diego dating back over 90 years
Understanding cardiology and heart disease
Scripps physicians care for your heart through a patient-centered approach that combines medical expertise with teamwork across cardiovascular specialties.
For patients and their families, heart care initially can seem daunting to understand various heart conditions, tests and procedures with a language of their own. To help, we’ve prepared a reference guide of cardiology basics.
Becoming familiar with common terms and heart physician specialties can give you a head-start to greater understanding. That’s because at Scripps, our cardiology services teams have one goal: help you get better.
Scripps is the heart of San Diego heart care.