San Diego's First Magnet Hospital
What does it mean to be a Magnet Hospital?
Magnet designation is nursing’s top honor, which means that Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla has been recognized nationally as the gold standard in patient care by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, a subsidiary of the American Nurses Association (ANA).
In August 2015, Scripps La Jolla is applying for Magnet program re-designation. View the public notice. (PDF, 6.06 KB)
The designation means:
- We’re committed to excellence. At Scripps La Jolla, our patients can expect the highest standards of patient care, nursing practice and quality patient outcomes.
- We’re patient-centered. Our nurses and the entire health care team are fully committed to doing the right thing for patients.
- A clear choice for patients. Choosing the best care for you, or someone you love, is easier than ever before.
The ANA chose the term “magnet” to describe a hospital’s ability to attract and retain the highest quality nurses, but the award also draws patients: Magnet hospitals have shown better patient outcomes in study after study.
A history of exemplary care
Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla has a well-established history for providing exceptional patient care to San Diego. In April, 2005, Scripps La Jolla was recognized for quality patient care and nursing excellence as it became the first hospital in San Diego to achieve the Magnet Recognition Award. This award signifies a continued commitment to innovation in nursing and patient care services.
Designation as a Magnet hospital recognizes that Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla:
- Meets the highest standards of patient care and nursing practice
- Maintains exemplary staffing ratios
- Attracts nurses, clinical staff and physicians by promoting excellence, collegiality, collaboration and professionalism
“Magnet designation is not only a tremendous award for our nurses; it is a reflection of the teamwork of our clinical staff at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. In achieving this national recognition, we have demonstrated that our hospital staff is committed to the development and promotion of quality and excellence in all aspects of our patient care practices.” — Gary Fybel, Chief Executive, Scripps La Jolla