Scripps Provides Advanced Care for Cardiac Arrhythmia
Scripps board-certified cardiac electrophysiologists diagnose and treat more patients with abnormal heart rhythms than any other San Diego health care provider. These dangerous heart conditions – whose episodes often occur intermittently – are also known as heart arrhythmias.
Scripps electrophysiologists work hand-in-hand with your primary care physician, cardiologist and medical colleagues across multiple specialties and sub-specialties to provide the best possible treatment and options for all types of arrhythmias.
Why choose Scripps
There’s one choice for heart health in San Diego: Scripps.
Scripps Green Hospital and Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla are ranked as the best in San Diego for cardiology and heart surgery, according to U.S. News & World Report’s prestigious annual ratings. This means the cardiac care you receive at Scripps is not only the highest rated in San Diego, it’s among the best in America.
Steven Higgins, MD, shares what makes the electrophysiology program at Scripps unique.
National honors and a history of pioneering “firsts”
Scripps Health has also been named among the 15 top health systems in the U.S. by international business research firm Truven Health Analytics. We’re consistently on the leading edge of cardiovascular treatment breakthroughs and newest ways to treat heart conditions. Scripps is the:
- First San Diego health system to use catheter ablation to cure arrhythmias
- First San Diego health system — and one of the first in the nation — to implant a miniature wireless heart monitor
- First — and only — Southern California health system to implant a leadless miniature wireless pacemaker
- First California health care provider to perform surgery to treat and cure arrhythmias
- First U.S. health care provider to implant dual-chamber defibrillators for the successful treatment of arrhythmias
- Second in the world to implant a transvenous biventricular defibrillator
- First in California to study the Watchman device for a left atrial appendage closure
- First hospital in the Western U.S. to utilize new radiation reduction 3-D imaging for ablation
Diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias
Scripps cardiac electrophysiologists are experts in diagnosing and treating arrhythmias. They can help address symptoms and causes, as well as lessen or eliminate this dangerous heart condition.
Our nationally recognized team manages thousands of arrhythmia treatments every year. Each patient and each arrhythmia is highly unique and requires the kind of personalized approach that only Scripps can provide as San Diego’s recognized leader in heart care.
Types of heart arrhythmia
Our cardiac electrophysiologists are experienced at diagnosing and treating various types of arrhythmias including:
- Supraventricular tachycardia
- Bradycardia and heart block
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Idiopathic ventricular tachycardia
- Ventricular tachycardia associated with cardiomyopathy
- Ventricular tachycardia caused by Long QT Syndrome (LQTS)
- Ventricular fibrillation