Internal Medicine Residency Program
Welcome to the Scripps Clinic and Scripps Green Hospital Internal Medicine Residency Program. Thank you for your interest in our program. Our residency program accepts 12 applicants each year — 36 total — and balances assignments between a 173-bed hospital adult-only acute care hospital, a network of outpatient clinics, the Naval Medical Center San Diego and other teaching facilities.
The program also co-sponsors residencies in general surgery, vascular surgery, gynecology and radiology and is a teaching hub for the University of California, San Diego.
Learn more about the program to determine if you would make a good match.
- Strong camaraderie between residents and faculty
- Phenomenal ambulatory medicine experience with one-on-one mentorship
- Diverse teaching sites and patient populations
- Fully-funded international health assignments to the South Pacific
- Among the highest board pass rates in the nation (>97%)
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Since 2006, 59 percent of graduates have stayed at Scripps as fellows, hospitalists or general internists
- Alumni have gone on to major academic appointments across the country
- Number of available spots:
- 1st year – 12
- 2nd year – 12
- 3rd year – 12
- Physician faculty: 26 full-time, 21 part-time, >300 volunteers
- Average hours per week on duty: 70
- Average hours per week of lectures/conferences: 13
- Scripps La Jolla Hospitals and Clinics were recognized for high performance in 8 specialty areas on U.S. News and World Report’s America's Best Hospitals list
- Scripps Green recognized as a top 100 hospital, and recognized for its teaching excellence
- Scripps Green named among nation’s top performers on key quality measures