Breast Cancer Surgery
The main surgical treatment options for breast cancer include:
- Lumpectomy (breast-conserving surgery, or lump removal surgery)
- Mastectomy (total breast removal)
- Lumpectomy, an option with more localized tumors, is typically followed by radiation therapy.
The surgical course of action with a patient depends on:
- Size and number of tumors
- How much the cancer has spread to surrounding breast tissue
- Family history
- Specific type of breast cancer
- Age and overall health profile
After either mastectomy or lumpectomy — or sometimes during the procedure — women may choose to undergo reconstructive breast surgery to restore the natural appearance of their breasts.