If you’re looking for holiday treat ideas, consider making an apple pie. Want to get creative? Try making an inside out apple pie.
This delicious twist on the classic apple pie is both warm and tasty and can be made with a healthy recipe.
In this video, Chef Fri Reyes, director of culinary services at Scripps Health, shows step by step how to create an inside out apple pie that you and your family can enjoy this holiday season.
- 4 apples (Granny Smith preferred)
- 1 cup granola
- ¼ cup dried cranberry
- ¼ cup caramelized pecans
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey (and some for drizzling)
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cloves
1. Cut the tops off the apples and set aside.
2. Scoop out the inside of the apples and dice.
3. Mix ingredients together in a mixing bowl, and preheat oven to 375° F.
4. Fill the apples with the filling and drizzle with some more honey.
5. Place the stuffed apples in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Download a print-friendly copy of this recipe
Remember, the safest way to celebrate the holidays during the COVID-19 pandemic is at home with the people you live with. Gatherings with family and friends who do not live with you can increase the chances of getting or spreading COVID or the flu. Consider connecting virtually through video calls or video-sharing.
Whatever your plans may be, please continue to follow all personal protection measures:
- Wear a mask to help protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
- Stay at least six feet away from others who do not live with you.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if unable to wash your hands.