Gary Williams, MD, PhD
Dr. Williams has been a member of the Division of Rheumatology since 1979. He currently serves as Vice President of Medicine Services for Scripps Clinic and as the Chairman of the Department of Medicine for Scripps Clinic Medical Group.
His Ph.D. and his research background are in immunology, although he has also done clinical research in the treatment of back pain and in drug evaluations for rheumatic disease therapy. Prior to joining the staff at Scripps Clinic, he did his training and research in rheumatology at the University of California in San Diego and the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. from the University of Iowa and was an intern and resident in internal medicine at the University of Rochester in New York.
In addition to his medical practice, research and current administrative duties, he has served as Chief of Staff at Scripps Green Hospital and Chair of the Medical Ethics, Utilization Review, and Medical Legal Committees and Vice-Chair of the Human Subjects Committee. He has designed a computer program for patient education and serves on the Information Services Advisory Committee. He writes and lectures on various topics including medical, ethical, and legal aspects of managed care.
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology, 1978
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, 1976
- University of Iowa College of Medicine, MD, 1973
- Strong Memorial Hospital University of Rochester, Internal Medicine, 1975
- National Institute of Health-Clinic Center, Rheumatology, 1979
- University of Iowa College of Medicine, PhD, 1971
If you see an error or omission on a provider’s profile page, please contact us.