Refer Patient for Diabetes Education
How to refer your patient to Scripps
- Search keyword “Whittier”
- Place referral
- Complete a Scripps Diabetes Referral Form (PDF, 79 KB) and fax to 858-678-7090
- Complete a Scripps Diabetes & Pregnancy Referral Form (PDF, 41 KB) and fax to 858-678-7090
What programs require a referral?
The following Scripps programs and services require a physician referral.
Diabetes Education and Nutrition
Group classes and individual counseling for:
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Healthy eating and physical activity
- Advanced carbohydrate counting and blood glucose pattern management for those using insulin
- Diabetes management during pregnancy
Requires a diabetes ICD-10 diagnosis code. Covered by most insurance companies.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Individual counseling sessions for:
- Weight management
- Cancer, renal disease, etc.
Requires an ICD-10 diagnosis code. Covered by most insurance companies.
Diabetes Behavioral Specialist
Group classes and individual counseling for people experiencing the following:
- Diabetes distress
- Behavior-related challenges in managing diabetes
Availability is limited and patients may be directed to group sessions.
Free programs without a referral
Physicians may refer patients to the following no-cost programs at Scripps, but referrals are not required. Eligibility criteria does apply. Patients may enroll without a referral by calling 858-678-7050 or toll free at 877-944-8843, or by email at email@example.com.
Diabetes Prevention Program
Group classes for:
- Intensive lifestyle intervention
- Overweight adults with a diagnosis of prediabetes
- Lifestyle coaching for 16 weekly sessions and semi- monthly follow-up sessions for the rest of the year-long program.
Adult (18 years and over) with BMI over 25 (23 if Asian), AND have one of the following:
- Blood test in the prediabetes range within the past year: HbA1c 5.7% – 6.4% or FPG 110-125 mg/dL or OGTT 140-199 mg/dL, OR
- Previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes, OR
- Screen positive on the CDC prediabetes screening test
Exclusion criteria: People with a diagnosis of diabetes or currently using insulin.
Healthy Living Classes
Group classes for:
- Healthy living tips over three sessions
- Adoption of three specific healthy behaviors to prevent chronic disease (nutritious diet, physical activity, not smoking)
- Anyone interested in preventing chronic disease, such as heart disease or diabetes, by learning to live a healthier lifestyle