Certified lymphedema treatment therapists at Scripps Health offer care at several locations in San Diego. Collaborating with physicians and other health care professionals to ensure a comprehensive approach, they develop customized lymphedema treatment plans to help people with lymphedema alleviate pain, reduce swelling, lower the risk of infection and learn self-management techniques.
Lymphedema is the collection of fluids in a part of the body that can cause swelling pressure and pain. To help alleviate swelling and reduce discomfort, the therapists develop care plans for complete decongestive lymphedema therapy that include:
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Multi-layered bandaging
- Compression therapy
- Therapeutic exercises
- Education to prevent complications and further occurrences
- Skin care and hygiene recommendations
While a cure for lymphedema does not exist, proper care can improve the condition and dramatically affect a person’s quality of life.
A referral from a physician is required to begin the evaluation and lymphedema treatment process.
Physical therapy is the first line of treatment for lymphedema. If these treatments do not help, surgical procedures are available to help manage and alleviate the discomfort associated with lymphedema.
Lymphaticoveous bypass and vascularized lymph node transfers are procedures to help reduce swelling and risk of infection.
- Lymphaticovenous bypass — Using a microscope, surgeons use very small, precision instruments to connect blocked lymphatic vessels to a nearby vein. The bypass allows lymph fluid to flow more freely.
- Vascularized lymph node transfer — Healthy lymph nodes with a rich blood supply are microsurgically transplanted to an area of injury to help rebuild lymphatic connections.
The monthly lymphedema education class includes information on stages of lymphedema, lymphedema treatment, risk reduction practices, exercise and more. The free education class is presented by a Lymphedema Certified Physical Therapist.
2nd Tuesday, 11 am - 12 pm
9850 Genesee Ave., Suite 170
La Jolla, CA 92037
Contact info: 858-626-6833
As always, your health and safety are extremely important to us. Out of an abundance of caution and in an effort to contain COVID-19, please make note of the following changes and adjust your personal schedule as necessary:
- Scripps Health in-person classes and events will be suspended through April 30
- Online classes will continue as normal
- Any classes on or after May 1 are subject to cancellation and we will continue to review this matter on an ongoing basis
Thank you for your understanding.
Lymphedema treatment and therapy is offered at the following Scripps Health locations in San Diego County: