Breastfeeding offers an array of benefits for both mother and child. At Scripps, we want to support your breastfeeding decision and offer you the tools you need. All Scripps hospital maternity nursing staff are specially trained to help new mothers with breastfeeding and Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas was the first hospital in San Diego County to be designated Baby-Friendly by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
In addition, certified lactation consultants are available at each facility and can help new mothers with challenging breastfeeding problems such as:
- Latch difficulties
- Sore nipples
- Mastitis: an infection of the breast tissue
- Insufficient milk supply
- Breastfeeding a premature baby
- Slow weight gain in the infant
- Breastfeeding an infant with a cleft lip/palate
- Induced lactation for adopted infants
With the many changes under the Affordable Care Act, the purchase of a breast pump may or may not be included with your health care coverage. Please check with your insurance company for details regarding breast pump coverage, where to purchase the breast pump, and the type of breast pump approved.
Scripps lactation services offer support both in the hospital and at home. Our comprehensive program helps new mothers adjust to breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding support groups: Free support groups are offered at Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas, Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, Scripps Mercy Hospital and Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista. For more information, visit our breastfeeding support groups page or call 1-800-SCRIPPS ( 800-727-4777).
Breastfeeding store: Breastfeeding supplies, including breast pumps, are available in each hospital. In addition, two of Scripps maternity units have on-site breastfeeding stores.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla’s: The outpatient feeding and lactation clinic is located on the hospital campus in the offices of the Center for Voice and Swallowing. Call 858-626-4444 for more information.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas: “Nursing Nook” is located in the Leichtag Family Birth Pavilion. The store is open every day from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. For more information call 760-633-7850.
Scripps hospitals and lactation stores carry breast pumps for rent as well as for sale. Payment for breast pump rental or the purchase of a breast pump is due upon rental/sale.