Study for Mitral Valve Replacement
- Trial ID:
- Matthew J Price, M.D.
Eligible candidates will have screening testing done to make sure they can tolerate the procedure. Patients will be required to return for follow-up visits about 1-2 times per year for up to 5 years.
Inclusion CriteriaPatients must:
- Have severe mitral regurgitation
- Be at least 18 years old
- Agree to return for all study visits
- Meet all other eligibility criteria
Exclusion CriteriaPatients must not:
- Have abnormal screening test results
- Have had a previous mitral valve surgery
- Have kidney disease
- Have had a recent stroke or TIA
- The Medtronic Intrepid™ valve is designed to be placed in the heart through a less invasive procedure that does not require cardiopulmonary bypass support, unlike a standard valve implant that requires open heart surgery.
- Patients will be randomized, like the flip of a coin, to receive either the Intrepid™ valve or traditional mitral valve surgery.
- Heather catchpole