- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- 9888 Genesee Avenue
- La Jolla, CA 92037 US Directions
- Visiting Hours
- 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Visiting hours may be adjusted based on the patient's needs or wishes.
- Emergency Services
- The emergency and trauma center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is located on the first floor of the Prebys Cardiovascular Institute.
Fluoroscopy is a variation of X-ray technology that produces a live, moving image of your body’s structures. With fluoroscopy, a lower-dose X-ray beam is transmitted continuously through your body onto a fluorescent screen that allows the images to be viewed real-time on a TV-like monitor.
How fluoroscopy is used
Fluoroscopy is used in many types of examinations and procedures. Most often, it’s used to screen for coronary artery disease and certain digestive tract diseases and conditions.
- Barium X-rays
- Cardiac catheterization
- Placement of intravenous (IV) catheters (hollow tubes inserted into veins or arteries).
Most exams require the use of a contrast medium, a special dye that is swallowed or injected to provide better X-ray images.