Laparoscopic gastric banding (also called Lap-Band surgery) is a minimally invasive procedure performed by Scripps Clinic bariatric surgeons in San Diego. With experienced weight loss surgeons and a wide range of support services, our team has helped tens of thousands of people safely lose weight and transform their lives.
Also called gastric banding, Lap-Band surgery is an adjustable and reversible bariatric surgery that limits the amount of food your stomach can hold. Our bariatric surgeons at Scripps Clinic use the latest in minimally invasive (laparoscopic) techniques that require only a few small incisions during surgery.
The Scripps Clinic weight loss and bariatric surgery team gives you the combined expertise of:
- Highly trained board-certified surgeons who specialize in minimally invasive bariatric surgery
- Board-certified physicians in other specialties who help provide additional care depending on your specific medical needs
- Nurse practitioners with expertise in weight management
- Registered dietitians
- A certified lifestyle coach
- Support staff, including a bariatric nurse and physician's assistant for pre- and post-surgery care
Gastric banding is one of several bariatric surgery procedures Scripps Clinic offers to certain patients to help people lose weight safely and effectively. You and your doctor will discuss which procedure is ideal for you, based on your unique health history and weight loss goals.
We encourage you to learn more about whether gastric banding surgery is right for you, get answers to frequently asked questions about bariatric surgery and attend a bariatric surgery orientation.
At Scripps, we understand that while bariatric surgery can be life-changing, successfully keeping the weight off requires ongoing support. That’s why we empower our patients with the right tools and support services to help you be successful at achieving and maintaining your ideal weight.
Our bariatric surgery support services include:
- Monthly bariatric support groups
- Scripps Living Lite behavioral change program
- Follow-up with a registered dietitian
- Ongoing support from a bariatric registered nurse
See a full list of our bariatric surgery support services.