If you’re considering weight loss surgery, it’s important to choose a bariatric surgeon and support team who are as committed to your health as you are. At Scripps, we offer accredited bariatric surgery services by some of the most experienced bariatric surgeons in San Diego and Southern California. Our team has helped tens of thousands of people safely transform their lives.
People throughout Southern California turn to Scripps for weight loss surgery because of our reputation for providing care that’s safe and effective, and for our excellent physical and emotional support services.
We are now offering Video Visits for some specialty care appointments. If you are interested in scheduling a Video Visit, contact the provider’s office directly. The doctor’s office will work with you to determine if this is the right type of visit for you.
Our goal is to help transform the lives of anyone who struggles with obesity. As you begin to lose weight, improve your health and regain confidence, we’ll be there to help guide you every step of the way.
Scripps bariatric surgery program combines outstanding clinical care with vital support services. For example:
- Our program is designated as a Comprehensive Center for bariatric surgery by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
- Scripps physicians have demonstrated track records of favorable outcomes following bariatric surgery. They consistently meet or exceed strict criteria for safety, low complication rates and high success rates, which help us maintain our accreditation year after year.
- Our experience speaks volumes. Together, our bariatric surgeons have performed more than 20,000 surgeries — a milestone achieved by only a handful of bariatric surgery centers in the world.
- We’re a trusted partner for Kaiser Permanente. Thanks to our rigorous standards of care and high levels of performance, Kaiser’s health plan members in San Diego County who qualify for bariatric surgery receive their care through our Hillcrest office (Scripps Clinic Bariatric and General Surgery, Fourth Avenue) and at Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego.
- Our bariatric surgeons use the latest minimally invasive (laparoscopic) techniques. By using a few small incisions during surgery instead of making one large incision, patients may experience less pain, shorter hospitalization, decreased risk of complications, shorter recovery time and better cosmetic results.
- We also have experience with laparoscopic revision bariatric surgery. Revisions could involve removing a gastric band and performing a sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass. Additionally, while it’s not common and rarely indicated, we have experience converting a sleeve gastrectomy to a gastric bypass.
Our comprehensive support services ensure you receive the care and guidance you need before and after bariatric surgery. From monthly post-bariatric surgery support groups and one-on-one lifestyle coaching to scheduled follow-up care with our compassionate bariatric team, we’ll be with you as your needs and goals change. Learn more about our support groups and services.
Not all patients meet the medical criteria for bariatric surgery, and some may not be ready. Scripps offers several non-surgical, customized, medically supervised weight loss programs. Learn more about our weight loss programs.