The Scripps Mercy Internal Medicine Program offers an inpatient training opportunity for fourth year medical students who want to gain experience in an internal medicine environment that caters to San Diego’s underserved population.
In the inpatient setting, students will care for patients and round with inpatient teams, working closely with interns, senior residents, and attendings.
The goal of the sub-internship is to provide participants with a whole picture of the inpatient service, including rounding, admissions, discharge planning, family meetings, daily didactics and working with specialists.
- Students must be enrolled in a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) approved medical school in the United States or Canada.
- Complete Scripps Mercy Subinternship Application and Verification of Immunizations.
- Provide letter of good standing from school and proof of health insurance.
- Provide letter from a faculty member supporting application (waived if student has done a Medicine core clerkship at Mercy).
- Provide proof from your institution that you’ve passed a background check.
- Take and pass USMLE Step 1 prior to Sub-Internship rotation.