The Scripps Mercy Internal Medicine Residency Program offers a four-week inpatient medicine rotation for fourth-year medical students. Our sub-interns function as a critical part of our wards teams and work directly with our Internal Medicine and Transitional Year interns, senior residents, attendings and sub-specialists. Sub-interns independently carry their own patients under the supervision of the senior resident and the attending. They also receive first call from nursing staff, participate in rounds, admissions, discharge planning and daily didactics.
- Be enrolled in a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) approved medical school in the United States or Canada
- Complete the Sub-Internship Application
- Provide an official letter of good standing from your school
- Take and pass USMLE Step 1 prior to Sub-Internship rotation
- Provide proof of current health insurance
- Provide a copy or documentation from your school indicating you have cleared a background check
- Provide a letter from a faculty member or previous preceptor supporting your application (waived if you have completed a third-year medicine core clerkship at Scripps Mercy)