Walter Coyle, MD
- Endoscopic Surgery
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
Gastroenterologist Walter Coyle, MD, treats most diseases of the digestive tract, as well as attached organs, such as the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts and pancreas.
His clinical gastroenterology interests include the diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic diseases, gallbladder and biliary tract diseases, esophageal diseases, inflammatory bowel diseases (such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis) and other disorders. Dr. Coyle’s other areas of expertise include digestive disorders and all digestive-related cancers, including pancreatic cancer, acute and chronic pancreatitis, eosinophilic esophagitis (inflammatory condition of the esophagus), Barrett’s esophagus and esophageal cancer.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Coyle has a research interest in pancreatic cancer, treatment of Barrett’s esophagus using cryoablation and all types of advanced endoscopy. He has also been active in gastroenterology research related to the epidemiology of colon and rectal cancer.
Dr. Coyle has been an active educator of medicine and gastroenterology trainees and has extensively published on training issues in gastroenterology. He believes that the best doctor-patient relationships are developed through careful listening by the provider and open, honest communication by both parties.
In his spare time he enjoys photography and diving. He also stays active with golf, cycling and racquetball.
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, 1995
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, 1991
- Jefferson Medical College, MD, 1986
- National Naval Medical Center, Internship-Medicine, 1987
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Internal Medicine, 1991
- Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine, Endoscopic Surgery, 1996
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Gastroenterology, 1995
Scripps Clinic Torrey Pines
Scripps Clinic Medical Group
Scripps Clinic, John R. Anderson V Medical Pavilion