- Scripps Clinic Torrey Pines
A fellowship-trained rheumatologist, Peter J. Weis, MD, diagnoses and treats people who have conditions and diseases affecting their joints, muscles and bones. He is also the current head of the division of rheumatology.
He specializes in autoimmune rheumatic syndromes and all types of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis and gout. Dr. Weis also has expertise in soft tissue rheumatism, such as tendinitis, bursitis, fasciitis and fibromyalgia.
Prior to joining Scripps Clinic, Dr. Weis was on active duty as a physician in the military for 20 years. In 2010, he retired from the United States Navy as a Commander after a successful 9 year tour as division head of rheumatology at Naval Medical Center, San Diego.
He is a fellow of both the American College of Physicians and the American College of Rheumatology. Before embarking on his medical training at Creighton University School of Medicine, he earned a bachelor’s degree at the University of Notre Dame — graduating with honors.
Dr. Weis’ father, Andrew J. Weis, MD, an internist and cardiologist, introduced him to the emotional and intellectual rewards of being a physician and influenced his approach to care. The rheumatologist values mutual honesty, trust and respect in the doctor-patient relationship. When Dr. Weis isn’t practicing medicine, he enjoys working out, listening to music, playing jazz piano and spending time with his wife, daughter and extended family.
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology, 2001
- Creighton University School of Medicine, MD, 1990
- Naval Medical Center San Diego, Internship, Internal Medicine, 1991
- Naval Medical Center San Diego, Residency, Internal Medicine, 1999
- Naval Medical Center San Diego, Residency, Anesthesiology, 1994
- Scripps Clinic, Fellowship, Rheumatology, 2001
- Scripps Clinic