- Neurological Surgery
Alexa Smith, MD, is a neurosurgeon with expertise in trauma neurosurgery. She has special interest in helping teach active U.S. military medical students and residents who train at Scripps Mercy Hospital’s Level 1 Trauma Center. Before coming to San Diego and joining the medical staff at two Scripps hospitals, Dr. Smith served as a pediatric neurosurgeon at the University of California Los Angeles where she also trained neurosurgery residents. She is fellowship trained in the subspecialty of pediatric neurosurgery.
Dr. Smith is passionate about providing health care to patients in the U.S. and abroad, having served as a physician volunteer for Project Medishare for Haiti. She is an active member of Women in Neurological Surgery, The California Association of Neurological Surgeons and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. In her spare time, Dr. Smith enjoys taking her dogs to the beach, mentoring military veterans seeking health care careers and traveling with her family, including her husband, a retired U.S. Navy SEAL.
- American Board of Neurological Surgery, Neurological Surgery, 2018
- University of Washington School of Medicine, 2006
- University of California, San Francisco, General Surgery, 2007
- University of California at Irvine School of Medicine, Neurological Surgery, 2013
- University of Texas Medical Branch, Neurological Surgery, 2008
- University of California, San Diego, Pediatric Neurological Surgery, 2014
If you see an error or omission on a provider’s profile page, please contact us.