Also known as: How often you need a physical exam, Health maintenance visit, Health screening or Checkup
- Screen for diseases
- Assess risk of future medical problems
- Encourage a healthy lifestyle
- Update vaccinations
- Maintain a relationship with a provider in case of an illness
- Health screening -- women -- age 18 to 39
- Health screening -- women -- age 40 to 64
- Health screening -- women -- over 65
- Health screening -- men -- age 18 to 39
- Health screening -- men -- age 40 to 64
- Health screening -- men -- over 65
All adults should visit their health care provider from time to time, even if they are healthy. The purpose of these visits is to:
For recommendations for men and women by age group, see:
Atkins D, Barton M. The periodic health examination. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2016:chap 15.
- Review date:
- November 04, 2015
- Reviewed by:
- Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Internal review and update on 07/24/2016 by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2008 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.