O'Toole Breast Care Center
- Main Phone
Mon - Fri: 7 am - 3:30 pm
- Main Phone
Mon - Fri: 7 am - 3:30 pm
Parking is available in the hospital lot and ACE parking lot (next to the 550 building). The hospital lot is free for the first 30 minutes and $5 for the first four hours with a max of $10 per day. With validation, the Ace lot is $2 per hour with a max of $6 per day. Without validation, the Ace lot is $6 per hour with a max of $24 per day.
- Free parking with validation
- Close to restaurants and shops
Scripps breast care specialists offer breast imaging and other services in San Diego
The earlier we detect breast cancer, the more successfully we can treat it. Regular mammography exams are vitally important for early detection. As part of the integrated cancer care at Scripps Health, the O’Toole Breast Care Center delivers a full range of breast health services, including mammography, biopsies and other services to support a woman’s health.
Our specialists combine sophisticated technology with a depth of medical expertise in a warm, supportive environment. We are conveniently located on the Scripps Mercy Hospital campus in Hillcrest. Download and print our campus map (PDF, 510 KB).
Our center is accredited by the American College of Radiology and is listed as a Hologic Pink Ribbon facility, which recognizes imaging centers that provide excellent breast care and provide a support system to the women in their community.
For more than 125 years, Scripps Mercy Hospital has provided sophisticated, compassionate medical care to the community. We believe that mind, body and spirit all play a role in the healing process. As part of Scripps Mercy Hospital, the O’Toole Breast Care Center is committed to providing the “Mercy style of care” to all patients.
You might be feeling uncertain about coming in for a breast exam. Our goal is to take the stress out of your experience and provide you with a peaceful, calm visit. We designed our center to offer you the most advanced breast care technology in a warm environment. Whether you are coming for a routine mammogram or for follow-up care, our sensitive staff will provide you with all the services and support you need.
The O’Toole Breast Care center provides:
- Advanced diagnostic technology, including 3-D mammography
- Superb follow-up care
- Supportive environment
- Experienced and compassionate clinicians and staff
When you arrive, you will check in at the main registration desk. Then, your technologist will personally escort you to the exam room. You can feel confident that you are receiving the most expert care available. Our radiologists have decades of experience and can determine whether a lump is a passing concern or a serious issue.
Types of breast imaging and breast care services
Our services include:
- 3-D digital screening and diagnostic mammography (tomosynthesis)
- Ultrasound screening and diagnostic exams
- Ultrasound guided core biopsy
- Ultrasound guided cyst aspiration
- Ultrasound needle localization
- Hook wire/mammography needle localization
- Stereotactic guided needle localization/stereotactic guided biopsy/core biopsy
- Needle localization excision biopsy
- DEXA scan bone density screening
Services available at Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego:
- MRI needle localization
- MRI breast biopsy
- Nuclear medicine lymphoscintigraphy (sentinel lymph node mapping)
Diagnostic mammogram: Advanced breast care technology
The O’Toole Breast Care Center combines advanced diagnostic technology, experienced clinicians and compassionate care. Women turn to us for their breast care needs because of our:
- Sophisticated diagnostics — We offer the latest diagnostic technology, such as 3-D mammography (tomosysnthesis) and computer-aided detection software, to provide the most accurate diagnostics and ensure that any problems are found early.
- Comprehensive care — If we detect a potential problem, we deliver the full range of follow-up services, including ultrasound and MRI-guided breast biopsies. As part of the integrated cancer services at Scripps, you have access to genetic testing, the latest clinical trials and the full range of cancer therapies.
- Ongoing support — Part of our mission is to provide the best care in the most supportive environment. This starts with setting up an appointment for a mammogram and proceeds through all necessary care. Our patient care nurse navigator is available to answer questions, describe procedures, coordinate appointments and provide personalized and individual support.
Nurse navigators at O’Toole Breast Care Center
You are not alone on your health journey. Our patient care nurse navigator program is unique to the O’Toole Breast Care Center. Our nurse navigators provide a wide range of services for our patients:
- Addressing questions, concerns and clinical issues regarding cancer diagnosis and treatment options.
- Coordinating care with your oncology team.
- Providing information you need to make informed decisions.
- Assisting you in finding community resources and referrals.
- Involving you in cancer support group meetings (offered in English and Spanish).
- Teaching you how to perform a breast self-exam.
- Advocating for you and serves as support system throughout cancer journey.
Information for patients and visitors
O’Toole Breast Care Center is located on a busy medical campus with Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego. Below you’ll find tips to make your visit as seamless as possible.
Directions and parking
Because Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego is in a high-traffic neighborhood, we recommend allowing extra time for travel.
Our main entrance is on 5th Avenue between Washington Avenue and Lewis Street, with parking available in the adjacent multilevel structure on Lewis.
Download and print our campus map. (PDF, 510 KB)
Scripps Mercy charges for parking after 30 minutes. We also offer valet parking for a flat fee. Our rates are as follows:
- First 30 minutes: Free
- 31 minutes to 4 hours: $5
- 4 hours to all day: $10
- Maximum per day: $10
- Valet parking: $8
Parking for disabled visitors and clergy is free. Visitors with disabilities can receive validation from a parking attendant. Clergy can receive validation from the administrative office.
Parking fees may be paid by cash, check or credit card. For your convenience an ATM is located on the first floor of the hospital, near the coffee cart in the lobby.