Quang Nguyen, MD
An ophthalmologist, fellowship trained in glaucoma and cataract surgery, Quang Nguyen, MD, diagnoses and treats all types of glaucoma and cataract diseases with the latest and most advanced treatments and procedures. This includes the latest advanced cataract surgical techniques combined with micro-invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS). His other areas of clinical interest include glaucoma filtering surgery (trabeculectomy) and glaucoma drainage implants for advanced glaucoma disease and refractory glaucoma. In addition to using the latest medical and laser procedures for the treatment of glaucoma, he also uses the latest optic nerve imaging techniques and functional testing to aid in diagnosing and managing glaucoma disease. Dr. Nguyen treats a variety of patients, from mild, moderate, and high risk cases, to patients with severe glaucoma disease and coexisting cataract disease.
In addition to his practice, Dr. Nguyen has a robust clinical research focus on glaucoma and cataract diseases. He has also been involved in cutting edge clinical trials to treat glaucoma and cataracts, both surgically and through medicine. Some of his clinical trials include the following:
- Implant studies to control glaucoma and reduce the number of medications
- Implants for patients who have failed traditional glaucoma surgery
- Intra-ocular lens implants for high astigmatism patients who are undergoing cataract surgery, to minimize post-operative astigmatism
- New glaucoma medications such as novel fixed-combination therapy and novel molecules
- Tube vs. Trabeculectomy Study (TVT Study): A five-year, multi-center clinical trial, which has changed practice patterns of the entire ophthalmology community both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Nguyen is an avid educator and speaker on the topics of glaucoma and cataract disease. In addition to being an instructor at various professional meetings, he has also participated in numerous speaking engagements both nationally and internationally. He has published over a dozen peer reviewed articles and numerous non-peer reviewed articles in ophthalmology journals. He is also an active volunteer as Chief of the Glaucoma Section for the Imperial City Eye Meeting in Hue, Vietnam. Here, he is a volunteer lecturer on glaucoma and cataracts and an instructor, teaching the latest surgical techniques.
Dr. Nguyen believes in providing straight forward information about a patient’s eye disease in a caring and compassionate manner. He understands the importance of being clear about treatment plans and offering support and hope to patients who may be dealing with a potentially serious eye disease.
He is also very active in the ophthalmology community, including involvement with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology, the American Glaucoma Society, and the American Medical Association.
In his spare time Dr. Nguyen enjoys riding bicycles with his family and going to the beach in the summer.
- University of Southern California School of Medicine, MD, 1992
- University of California at Irvine Medical Center, Internal Medicine, 1993
- University of Florida, Ophthalmology, 1996
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, 1997
Scripps Clinic Medical Group
Scripps Clinic Medical Group