- Cataract & Refractive Surgery
- Cornea and External Disease
- Spanish, English
Alan Westeren, MD, is a comprehensive ophthalmologist and surgeon and a fellowship-trained subspecialist: refractive surgeon, cataract surgeon, corneal surgeon and external diseases of the eye.
He has performed thousands of microsurgical procedures, including laser vision correction procedures such as LASIK, LASEK and PRK in addition to other vision correction surgeries including intrastromal corneal ring segment implantations (ICRS or INTACS), conductive keratoplasty (CK), astigmatic keratotomy (AK), cataract surgery, corneal transplantation, glaucoma surgery, eye trauma surgery and many other types of eye surgery.
Dr. Westeren performs and teaches the latest state-of-the-art cataract surgery and laser vision correction surgery techniques. He is author of two eye textbooks, chapters on corneal refractive surgery and cataract surgery, and is an invited guest lecturer on both coasts.
In addition, Dr. Westeren is a life member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
- Georgetown University Medical Center, MD, 1993
- Naval Medical Center San Diego, Internship, Internship-Medicine, 1994
- University of Pennsylvania, Residency, Ophthalmology, 2002
- University of California, San Diego, Fellowship, 2003