Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla offers four 12-month PGY1 pharmacy resident positions, one PGY2 infectious diseases pharmacy resident position and one PGY2 cardiology pharmacy resident position as part of our pharmacy residency program in San Diego. Accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), the postgraduate training is designed to develop skilled clinicians who can deliver pharmaceutical care in a variety of health care settings.
Our program offers frequent faculty-resident interaction, focused on pharmacotherapy, research and teaching in a decentralized practice model. Learn more about the program to determine if you would make a good match.
Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
The pharmacy residency program resides on the campus of Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, a busy medical campus in San Diego. Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla has served the greater San Diego community since 1924. Nearly 100 years later we continue to provide some of the region’s most distinguished care.
- Newsweek ranked Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla as one of the World's Best Hospitals in 2022. The list included the top 250 hospitals globally.
- Named among the nation’s best hospitals by U.S. News & World Report
- Listed by Fortune magazine as one of the best places to work
- More than 30 clinical pharmacists, including specialists in cardiology, critical care, emergency medicine, infectious disease, medication therapy management, oncology and operating room (OR)/surgical services
- 24/7 pharmacy department, including a central pharmacy and OR satellite locations
- Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Joint Commission-certified Ventricular Assist Device Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) program
- Magnet recognized hospital
- Level I trauma center
- Home of the Prebys Cardiovascular Institute
The pharmacy practice residency program at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla begins the first Monday in July each academic year. The application deadline is January 2.
- As a 12-month residency, the program focuses on pharmacotherapy, research and teaching in a decentralized acute care pharmacy setting.
- The pharmacy department is open 24/7 and includes a central pharmacy along with two OR satellite locations. Our pharmacists provide a broad range of clinical services and work collaboratively with the health care team.
- Scripps comprises five hospital campuses, and through this affiliation, residents participate in the system-wide management of clinical programs and operations.
- Rotations are unique and challenging, giving residents opportunities to learn from a variety of specialists and environments — from cardiology to emergency medicine.
- The pharmacy department trains about 20 fourth-year PharmD candidates annually.
During clinical rotations, residents work closely with dedicated teaching faculty to provide training in all aspects of pharmacy. The program is designed to help residents prepare for future practice.
You’ll work under the mentorship of leading pharmacy experts and alongside talented trainees. Our team is dedicated to delivering superior medical education and guidance to meet each resident’s interests and career goals.
The terms and conditions of resident training and employment are specified in the employment agreement that also includes training obligations, stipend and benefit provisions. The Residency Manual fully describes policies, practices and procedures. Copies of the employment agreement and other pertinent information about our program is provided at the time of interview.
The PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency match code is 191113.
The PGY2 Infectious Disease Residency match code is 637155.
The PGY2 Cardiology Pharmacy Residency match code is 673567.
All residency positions at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla are 12-month commitments starting on the first Monday in July. The application submission deadline is January 2.
Virtual Open Houses
November 29, 2023 from 6 - 7 pm PST
December 13, 2023 from 6 - 7 pm PST