The mission of our program is to train excellent and independent practitioners of internal medicine. While not all residents will choose a career as general internists, all program graduates should have the foundation of those attributes which underlie excellence in Internal Medicine.
Several unique features of the program include:
- Our primary teaching site is a tertiary referral center with expertise in solid organ transplantation, bone marrow transplantation, chemotherapy clinic trials (partnership with MD Anderson), and advanced cardiology (LVAD, TAVR, wireless monitoring).
- Substantial opportunities for residents to have one-on-one interactions with attending physicians and specialists due to a hospital setting with 12 clinical fellowship programs, but no other core residencies
- Robust clinical research education and support system from a dedicated associate program director of resident research
- Robust procedural experience because of fewer competing trainees
- A resident-as-clinical teacher curriculum
We also serve as a teaching site for the University of California, San Diego.
- Among the highest board pass rates in the nation (>97%)
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Since 2006, 59 percent of graduates have stayed at Scripps as fellows, hospitalists or general internists
- Alumni have gone on to major academic appointments across the country
- U.S. News and World Report ranked Scripps La Jolla Hospitals and Clinics #1 in San Diego
- Scripps Green recognized as a top 100 hospital, and recognized for its teaching excellence
- Scripps Green named among nation’s top performers on key quality measures